Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Extras in grid-12.css – what are they doing?

• Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

Extras in grid-12.css – what are they doing?

Posted 13 years 11 months ago
    • ...in grid-12.css you can find these lines:

/* Extras */
      .left-1, .right-1 {width: 30px;}
      .left-2, .right-2 {width: 110px;}
      .left-3, .right-3 {width: 190px;}
      .left-4, .right-4 {width: 270px;}
      .left-5, .right-5 {width: 350px;}
      .left-6, .right-6 {width: 430px;}
      .left-7, .right-7 {width: 510px;}
      .left-8, .right-8 {width: 590px;}
      .left-9, .right-9 {width: 670px;}
      .left-10, .right-10 {width: 750px;}
      .left-11, .right-11 {width: 830px;}

Can anybody tell me what they are good for?
  • Re: Extras in grid-12.css – what are they doing?

• I'm guessing on this one, Henning, but here goes:

We have a 960 pixel grid system with 12 columns. Using the slider, you can have any combination you want for the individual columns. When you start allocating "space" for those columns, you have to factor in each of the 12 "blocks" will be 80 pixels wide. Keep in mind I haven't played with the "Advanced" settings yet, so this post may be in total error.

The system is really handy, but what happens when you start factoring in margins, etc.? I will use 2 examples.
        Example 1: You have content (let's say an ad) which is 90px wide and you want a left/right margin of 10px. You want it in Column SB. You require a column that is 110px wide. You would require two "blocks" for Column SB which would be 160px wide. Yowsa! That leaves 50px of whitespace.

Example 2: You are using an iframe from somewhere like Youtube. The smallest standard size they have is 425px. That will require at least 6 blocks to accomodate the content and you are stuck with white space again.

In both examples, you have two choices. Change the CODE so content accomodates the grid or use an additional "block" (80px) resulting in large areas of white space. Either way, things can get ugly attempting to mix and match the above on a single page.

Now then, if you are an average user (my particular target audience), NOT to be confused with a developer, you may have no clue how to fix this. Based on the settings you mentioned, I'm guessing they are a way to overcome the problem (more custom coding). It sounds logical to me, how about you?

IF that is so, HOW to use them is for someone else to explain, because I'm not 100% "up" on the inner workings of Gantry. I am enamored with the available settings in Gantry without having to touch the code. I'm determined to create a site without any hand coded alterations just because I want to. When I can achieve that, I will consider Gantry to be "perfect."

I love to tear each template apart every month and learn them from the ground up but I haven't delved into any custom settings other than those offered in the Admin (yet). Experience has taught me not to touch the code unless I know HOW and WHY it works BEFORE I alter a file. Otherwise, I'm stuck with a million sticky notes I must refer back to when I break it and I HATE sticky notes.

Darn it! Your question has inspired me to delve more deeply into this, thus requiring a sticky note on my computer reminding me to check it out. At this rate, my site will never be completed and ready to LAUNCH! LOL!

Seriously, though, this is yet one more reason I am anxious to see a 16 column grid layout on an upcoming template. It will give us more leeway to resolve some of the above.

By they way, nice job on your "Cheat Sheets"! (another post) :P
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

Re: Extras in grid-12.css – what are they doing?

• actually Andy told me on the chat that he didnt remember what it was good for and he assumed that it was just a code-snippet that was left over from an earlier stage in the gantry development ...
      Overriding the normal 960-grid-widths is nothing you can do with that extra-css afaik (it does not include the push-pull-parts)
    • Last Edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Henning.

• PRECISELY WHY I HATE STICKY NOTES. WITHOUT THEM I AM LOST. LMAO!

• I must say..... (still LMAO).... this is the very first time Andy did NOT have answer. Do we get anything special for that??????? Perhaps HUSH MONEY... :mrgreen:

• or free STICKY NOTES for life!
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

Re: Extras in grid-12.css – what are they doing?

• heh ... :cheesy:
      Overall everything in the gantry.css is pretty straight forward and clear. It was just this part ...
      With the page suffix-feature we can override the grid with every value. So we can have widths like 434px or whatever ...
      Its easier in the module-parts – a bit harder in the mainbody (because of the push-pull-parts) ....

Perhaps one could use this as mod-suffixes?

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds