• SOLVED Gantry 4 in Joomla 4

Posted 6 years 8 months ago
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

Re: SOLVED Gantry 4 in Joomla 4

• Hello there,

We plan to make an announcement regarding Gantry 4 and Joomla 3.9 and 4.0 on our blog soon. I wanted to get documentation for Notio out of the way first and make sure we have finalized our plans before announcing anything specific.

Here's what I will say. Joomla 4 is still a ways away. We're looking at possibly late next year before it comes out. 3.9 doesn't even have a release estimate yet.

That said... here's what we know:

We know that Joomla 4 will not be backwards compatible with what we have in Gantry 4 at the present moment. That means that in order to support Gantry 4 templates past Joomla 4 two things have to happen.

1. Gantry 4 will have to be practically rewritten to support the new version.
      2. Gantry 4 Templates will also have to be rewritten to some extent to support the new Gantry 4.

That's the hurdle we're facing right now. Many of our Gantry 4 templates were built for Joomla 2.5, and further modified to work with Joomla 3.x. Gantry 4 carried over code that existed prior to Joomla 2.5, which was one of the reasons we created Gantry 5 as a fresh start without 4+ years of Gantry development and updates for backward compatability weighing it down.

Joomla 4 will introduce a whole new batch of issues for Gantry 4. We're looking at it right now to determine what our course of action will be. We will announce something soon.

I wouldn't worry about anything changing in the short term. Joomla 4 is still down the road and Joomla 3.9 will continue to be supported for 2 years after its release according to Joomla's release cycle FAQ .
    • Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Ryan M Pierson.
    • The following users have thanked you: Neil Robertson, Matt

• Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA
  • Re: SOLVED Gantry 4 in Joomla 4

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds