Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla 3.5.0-beta with PHP 7.0.0

• Joomla 3.5.0-beta with PHP 7.0.0

Posted 8 years 4 months ago
    • Hello

Not sure where to post this so i'll try here :)

As PHP 7 has been released i wanted to test it on our dev site that will be using a theme from RT. After upgrading to Jommla 3.5.0-beta which is neccessary for PHP 7 all was working well. However after switching to PHP 7 everything went to hell :/

Neither backend or frontend is working and it spews out a bunch of PHP errors. Some of these are:

Backend:
      Attempt to modify property of non-object in /public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Registry.php on line 369

Frontend:
      Warning: Attempt to modify property of non-object in /public_html/libraries/rokcommon/RokCommon/Registry.php on line 363

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; NotWhere has a deprecated constructor in /public_html/libraries/gantry/core/gantryflatfile.class.php on line 549

I realize J3.5 and PHP 7 is kinda new but i was wondering if it's being worked on to support these or if there are any other solutions available. I didn't find much searching.

Regards
      Michael
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Joomla 3.5.0-beta with PHP 7.0.0

• PHP7 is a major change and deprecates many things as well as reserving many term commonly used by developers. It will break many things and for this reason I would not even contemplate using it for many months so that developers have an opportunity to catch up. I think it's unlikely that we will go through our entire back catalog of products to work with PHP 7. But of course we will be ensuring Gantry 5 and it's templates will work with PHP7. Joomla 3.5 is still beta software and we have had initial looks, but we can't really work on this properly until the final stable release of J3.5 - we will be doing this but again it can take some time.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: Joomla 3.5.0-beta with PHP 7.0.0

• Thanks for the answer.

Yes i know and i wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't for the speed of PHP 7. Our current site is very heavy and is on a shared host with bad resonse times. We're considering a VPS to increase it and with PHP 7 it would be a huge boost. However my co-workers decided on Vermilion as template because of the convenient layout, but it's a Gantry 4 theme from July 2014 so i assume it's not going to be updated anytime soon.

According to the Joomla 3.5 roadmap it should have been released December 8th but it looks like mid to late January is to be expected.

Then you start adjusting your Gantry 5 templates to work starting with the latest and going back. Perhaps we should try and pick a Gantry 5 template instead?

I'm trying to plan a timeline for my boss as to when we can start working with the new site. He's kina anxious as companies change and he wants to reflect that. You know how bosses are ;)

Regards
      Michael
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Joomla 3.5.0-beta with PHP 7.0.0

• We'll do our best to sort out Gantry 5 and it's templates quite quickly after J3.5 release and also PHP7 but I suspect that your biggest issues will actually be with any third-party extensions that you use, our brief investigations of PHP7 would seem to bear that out (it breaks a lot of stuff). Personally I'd be sticking with PHP5.5, and there's nothing wrong with continuing to use Gantry 4 and the vermilion template.

For me the jump to PHP7 is too big right now and I would not be considering it for any of my production sites. Your car will not always go faster if you put a bigger engine in it. "speed" can be tackled in many ways and PHP7 would be the last one on my list.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds