Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

gantry_less files in var/tmp

• Tobias
    • Sr. Rocketeer

gantry_less files in var/tmp

Posted 9 years 2 months ago
    • Hi,

every day Gantry creates thousands of gantry_lessXYZ123 files in the var/tmp directory of my server. I have to go in daily to delete them, as they easily total 2GB after just two days. There must be a better way to handle this. Can you help?

Thanks!
    • I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying. ~Woody Allen
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: gantry_less files in var/tmp

• Tobias wrote:
      Hi,

every day Gantry creates thousands of gantry_lessXYZ123 files in the var/tmp directory of my server. I have to go in daily to delete them, as they easily total 2GB after just two days. There must be a better way to handle this. Can you help?

Thanks!

This is a permissions/Ownership issue. To check Ownership issues, which do you have ->
      Admin -> Site or System -> System Information -> System Information Tab->
      Web Server to PHP interface: apache2handler -or- CGI / FastCGI ?

That tmp directory is used by your PHP to build a compiled CSS file before it's copied to the "/css-compiled" folder.

If this folder has the wrong permissions/Ownership then the Copy process fails. So either you have the wrong permissions for the "/css-compiled" folder OR incorrect ownership rights for the folder because your using Apache2handler instead of CGI/fastCGI.
    • Tobias
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Thanks Dan,

my System Information has:

WebServer to PHP Interface: apache2handler
    • I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying. ~Woody Allen
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Tobias wrote:
      Thanks Dan,

my System Information has:

WebServer to PHP Interface: apache2handler

That means you probably don't have the right ownership of the "/css-compiled" folder.

For ownership or permission issues check :
      • Check your folder permissions here:Admin -> Site or System -> System Information -> Directory Permissions to ensure they're writeable - which is all GREEN (except configuration.php which should be RED)
      • Check folders have 0755 permissions and that files are 0644 and that Owner/Group are correct (you can use an FTP client or FPA mentioned below).
      • Specifically check the ../cache and the ../templates/rt_templateName/css-compiled folders.
      • check Admin -> Site or System -> System Information -> System Information Tab->
        Web Server to PHP interface: apache2handler -or- CGI / FastCGI ? Joomla prefers CGI / FastCGI
        • Download and use the Joomla Forum Post Assistant to do more detailed checks.
        • Download the attached Joomla Forum Post Assistant "fpa-en.zip" file your to HDD.
        • Extract out the file "fpa-en.php" and Upload this to your servers Joomla ROOT folder
        • Open a browser window and run http://my-site.com/fpa-en.php
        • Post your findings to see if there are problems
    • Tobias
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Dan,

My directory permissions are red/unwritable, but all folder have permission 755. That includes /cache and /templates/rt_visage/css-compiled/. I installed the site using Akeeba Backup and Kickstart and kept the default permissions.

I installed and ran FPA. There is a lot of information there. Is there anything particular I should post?

Thanks
    • Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Tobias.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Tobias wrote:
      Dan,

My directory permissions are red/unwritable, but all folder have permission 755. That includes /cache and /templates/rt_visage/css-compiled/. I installed the site using Akeeba Backup and Kickstart and kept the default permissions.

I installed and ran FPA. There is a lot of information there. Is there anything particular I should post?

Thanks

With your domain link I'm getting "This webpage is not available"
    • Tobias
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• The one I posted on the 'Secure' page? I just clicked it and got to it. Posting again in secure - let me know if that works.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Tobias wrote:
      The one I posted on the 'Secure' page? I just clicked it and got to it. Posting again in secure - let me know if that works.

Can see it now abd there are issues:

APPLICATION INSTANCE :: DISCOVERY
      TYPICAL -> CONFIG MODE
      Writable

YOURS -> CONFIG MODE
      Read-Only

CORE FOLDERS PERMISSIONS CHECKS
      MODE WRITABLE
      TYPICAL -> 755 Yes

YOURS -> 755 No

OWNER GROUP
      brkvlle20185 brkvlle20185

If you look at the FPA -> LEGENDS AND SETTINGS
      OK/GOOD WARNINGS/ALERTS

So you definitely have issues with this site. Have your hosting provider look at the fpa-en and see if they can sort it out for you.
    • Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by DanG.
    • Tobias
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Thanks Dan,

I now have the server running PHP version 5.5 with the MPM event worker and the FCGI php handler.

Folders set to 755 now appear to writable.

Config mode is still 655, but writable. Is that OK?

Are there any other concerns? I will monitor the VAR/tmp folder to see if this solved the issue.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Tobias wrote:
      Thanks Dan,

I now have the server running PHP version 5.5 with the MPM event worker and the FCGI php handler.

Folders set to 755 now appear to writable.

Config mode is still 655, but writable. Is that OK?

Are there any other concerns? I will monitor the VAR/tmp folder to see if this solved the issue.

Permissions of 755 are preferable. Grab a copy of Akeeba Admin Tools CORE and use the Fix Permissions option.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds