Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Menu title plus category title shown

• 46Best

Menu title plus category title shown

Posted 10 years 10 months ago
    • Hi all
      playing with the Gantry framework and default template. Having the following problem:

I created a category and a couple of articles in it. Added a menu item of type "Category Blog". The page is shown as expected, however, the page header shows both, the menu title plus the category title. In my case the category is called "Automotive" as well as the category, The header shows "Automotive Automotive". First ist the menu title, second is the category title. I tried everything I could to hide one of them but either none is shown or both. E.g., if I disable "Show category title" then nothing is displayed. The menu title is not shown as well.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
      George
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Re: Menu title plus category title shown

Posted 10 years 9 months ago
    • Hi there,

Without a link to page where the problem is on your site it is quite hard for us to provide the best solution due to so many variables. We try to provide file names and line numbers for code changes and if changes have already been made then our advice may be incorrect.

Can you please post a link to the problem and we will do our best to assist you.

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
  • Re: Menu title plus category title shown

Posted 10 years 9 months ago
    • I seem to be having the same problem. The page is displayed with the menu title and the category title next to each other, even though the only control altered is Menu > Advanced Options > Category Options > Category Title 'Show'.

I attach a screenshot and a .txt of the source.

Grateful for any help!

(Joomla 3.1, problem does not occur using protostar template)

Posted 10 years 8 months ago
    • I am having the same issue with a fresh installation of Oculus on Joomla 3.1.5. Just updated Gantry to 4.1.14 but the problem is not solved.

I have "Show Page Heading" off everywhere, and still, both the Menu Item title and the Category title show side-by-side. Here's a link to a page where you see the menu title first followed by the category title.

184.154.226.2/~joyw3800/resources/online-resources

Excuse the rudimentary look. 8) We haven't started to design yet!
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Re: Menu title plus category title shown

• Hi Robyn,

Have you checked the default article options, especially the category tab with dropdown set to blog. There is setting to show sub-category text.

If you still need assistance then can you PM me with a temporary Super Admin access please and I will take a look to see what the cause may be. Please include the link to this post for ease of reference.

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information

• Thanks so much for your response. Your reminder about the global article settings set me to exploring and I have what I think is an interesting discovery.

I have three installations of Joomla 3.1.5; one with Oculus, one with the free Gantry template, and one with a template called Fontaine, by some other dudes. In all three I have global settings as follows:

Category Title: "Show"
      Category Description: "Show"
      All other Category Blog settings hidden
      Menu: Show Page Title: set to "No."

The Fontaine site works fine. Both the Oculus and Gantry sites have the issue with both Category Title and Menu Item title displaying side-by-side on the page. Tonight, I changed the settings to exactly the opposite in both Rocket Theme sites:

Category Title: set to Hide
      Menu: Show Page Title: set to "Yes"

This corrects the problem, but if I go to a category without navigating via a menu item, then of course, the category title won't show at all. It seems that the "Show Page Title: Set to No" doesn't work on my two Rocket Theme sites, but does on the non-RT site.

I can confirm that this began happening only after the 3.1.5 security update pushed out in the last week or so. I can also confirm that the problem does not exist on the Prostar Template on 3.1.5. When I switch my Gantry Theme to Prostar, the problem goes away.

The "Categories List" menu item works fine. The issue is only with "Category Blog" menu items.

I've used Rocket Themes for a few years now, and several sites in Joomla 2.5.x and have never encountered such an issue, so I really think this is specific to the newest 3.1.5 Joomla and your templates.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, or if you can replicate the problem -- particularly in Oculus.

Thanks again.

Posted 10 years 6 months ago
    • I do have exact the same Problem, usin Joomla 3.1.5 und latest Gantry Framework 4.1.17.
      Is there any Solution?

• Yes. I can confirm this is still happening. Just ran into a client with a fresh install of Joomla 3.1.5 and Stratos who is pulling their hair out trying to hide one or the other of the double headers on all of their blog pages.

For some of my new 3.1.5 websites, I am no longer using Rocketthemes. :(

For clients who are already using Rocketthemes, we are publishing blogs by setting the menu item to not show category title, this then produces a page with no title whatsoever because turning off the category title via the menu item seems to also turn off the menu item as well. Then, we add an h3 tagged line to the category description to serve as a title for the blog.

If any Gantry update fixes this issue, then we will have to go back and fix all of these, which is a bit of a drag...

Any thoughts on this Rockettheme? Can you replicate the issue on your end?

• Greetings. For those of you who are still facing this problem of both the category title and the menu item title displaying even when page heading is set to "no" on the menu item, I have found that if i remove the blog.php file from the template override folder, the problem goes away.

templates > rt_template > html > com_content > category > blog.php

This file seems to be the offending file, though I know nothing about a proper fix. I have removed this file on sites using Voxel Responsive, Stratos and Oculus.

I am not sure if removing this override is a good idea in terms of Gantry, but as an override, I felt comfortable removing it since the original Joomla file is in place and doing its job.

I hope this helps.

Posted 10 years 5 months ago
    • You have to change the overriding blog.php a little to:
      <?php if ($this->params->get('show_page_heading') != 0 or $this->params->get('show_category_title')): ?>
      <h1>
          <?php if ($this->params->get('show_page_heading') != 0)
          {
              echo $this->escape($this->params->get('page_heading'));
          }
          ?>
          <?php if ($this->params->get('show_category_title'))
          {

echo '<span class="subheading-category">'.$this->category->title.'</span>';
          }
          ?>
      </h1>
      <?php endif; ?>

So you can choose if to show the menue item title or the category title or both!

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds