Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

AFTERBURNER - Mootools?

• jaylime
    • Sr. Rocketeer

AFTERBURNER - Mootools?

Posted 14 years 9 months ago
    • Excuse the newbie questions, but if I understand it right, Afterburner loads without the mootools js - saving 70kb. My queries then are:

1. At what point is mootools 1.11 loaded? The back-end works fine so I'm guessing its only when logging in to the back-end??
      2. There is an option in the template config to turn off / on mootools. I assume this means turn on mootools for the front-end (since at that point the back-end is already running mootools)....
      3. Therefore, does Afterburner have the possibility (either in-built or via a modification) to load mootools 1.2 for the frontend so scripts using 1.2 can be used on the site?

Thanks.
    • jaylime
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: AFTERBURNER - Mootools?

Posted 14 years 8 months ago
    • Seems like I hit a big black hole with these queries :o
  • Re: AFTERBURNER - Mootools?

Posted 14 years 7 months ago
    • Mootools isn't really used by Joomla on the frontend. It only really comes into play if you have an extension or feature that uses Mootools such as RokTabs, RokNavMenu or other plugins etc...

But in a default Joomla install, might as well disable it to reduce your load. It can be enabled or disable in the template manager.

You can load mootools 1.2 if you want but would probably break any JS extension you would use with Joomla :)
    • James Spencer / Developer & Support / Hull, UK
    • jaylime
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• James S! wrote:
      Mootools isn't really used by Joomla on the frontend. It only really comes into play if you have an extension or feature that uses Mootools such as RokTabs, RokNavMenu or other plugins etc...

But in a default Joomla install, might as well disable it to reduce your load. It can be enabled or disable in the template manager.

You can load mootools 1.2 if you want but would probably break any JS extension you would use with Joomla :)
      1. Since the backend requires Mootools 1.11 to run, I guess it loads when the url reads www.yourdomain.com/administrator ?
      2. If I place Mootools 1.2 in the <head> tag of the index.php file (but not load any js in the frontpage, in the same way as Afterburner) would it slow down my site simply because its in the <head> or would it not make any difference to initial load speed - but slow things down a bit when linking to a page that does call for js derived from Moo 1.2?
      3. Rokbox only works with Mootools 1.1, But the source code for this very page we are on shows:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/rt_rockettheme2/js/mootools-1.2.1.js"></script>
      <script type="text/javascript" src="/distribution/styles/rt2/template/forum_fn.js"></script>
      <script type="text/javascript" src="/templates/rt_rockettheme2/js/rt_scripts.js"></script>
      <script type="text/javascript" src="/plugins/system/rokbox/rokbox.js"></script>

Given what you say above, why does the Rokbox extension not break with Mootools 1.2 loaded on the RT site? :o
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• We have a special version of RokBox that we made compatible with moo 1.2
    • jaylime
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Andy Miller wrote:
      We have a special version of RokBox that we made compatible with moo 1.2
      hi Andy

I'm sure you take my point. All Mootools extensions are now (and have been for some time) built around Mootools 1.2, including those used in the RT site as you mention above :) .

RT public extensions continue to be built on 1.11 for obvious reasons.

With Afterburner having the option to enable or disable Mootools it would be a very useful development tool to also have a built-in option to load Mootools 1.1 or Mootools 1.2.

Or do we have to wait for J 1.6 for that bridge to be crossed?
    • jaylime
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• If its not too difficult, could anyone from the RT team demonstrate how to use Mootools 1.2 with Afterburner please?

Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds