Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Questions from a newbie

• Questions from a newbie

Posted 13 years 5 months ago
    • Hello folks,

I am new, very new to Joomla. Have a business I want to start up and with the help of a friend have basic site up. I purchased Panacea template/theme but have come to realize all 'this' is way over my head. I have watched some tutorials on youtube and some other sites. I am really starting at ground zero. :oops: I have been looking at the www.joomlashack.com/university/ for tutorials, but have come to realize (correct me if am wrong) that all the joomla sites are essentially competitors out there. Since I have already spent time time and a few $ hear I figured I should try to play in this sand box for a while longer. Please forgive me for asking some questions that may seem obvious.

1. Once my subscriptions expires, is it correct I will no longer be able to read these forums?

2. I am looking for an extensive list of tutorials out there so I can start learning Joomla. Does this site have a long list of tutorials for beginners and then move on to intermediate tutorials? If not can someone suggest a site? Would www.joomlashack be a good choice?

3. I have been looking over extensions.joomla.org which has a long list of extensions. Two I am considering for a simple shopping cart are:
      HikaShop and redSHOP Light
      Both sound like they would be easy to install for someone like me that would need something easy.
      Does the Rocket Theme club have their own shopping carts that I could/should consider?

4. I was also looking for an online form extension and was considering Proforms. Again is there something here that would create a simple online form for a potential customer to fill out and e-mail me?

5. I don't see a life time membership option here. Just the subscription for 365 days. Is that what one would do to get support here in this forum for a year? It sounds like it is geared toward developers with multiple sites. I only have one that I am concerned with at the moment, but I do have a flight sim site that I could play with and test things on. That is if my online buddies would not hang me from the nearest Oak tree for fouling things up. 8)

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to finding a home. :cheesy:
    • If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Questions from a newbie

• 1. Yes, that is correct. You don’t actually ‘purchase’ templates here, you subscribe to the forum for a specific amount of time (2,6,12 months) and have the ability to DL all the templates and use them as you wish according to your entitlements. (For a regular membership, what ever you purchase, for a developer, unlimited for a year.) Also note, entitlements don’t expire, so when your subscription expires, you are still allowed to use templates within the TOS, but you lose access to the forum and the download area.

2. Check the Quick Links link at the top of the page and look at Joomla > Joomla Basics. There are many links to Joolma tutorials there.

3. For Joomla, the biggest most full featured cart is Virtue Mart. RT does have a simple cart solution www.rockettheme.com/extensions-joomla/rokquickcart , but please note this is an ‘as-is’ extension designed for a limited amount of products, ‘limited’ functionality, and no plans to add features or take requests. (Sounds harsh, but for some people it’s ‘just enough’ while VM is ‘way too much’) I am not familiar with the two components you mentioned, but they probably fall somewhere between the two.

4. The contact form in the RT template is based on the core contact form. To get more functionality than it offers, yes, you will need a 3rd party component. I like RS Form and RS Form Pro. Very flexible, support is great.

5. There is no ‘lifetime membership’. We’ll support you for the duration of your subscription for what ever template you decide to use or switch to during that time. It’s just not possible or practical as a business to offer ‘lifetime support’ or ‘lifetime memberships’. If you only have one site, maybe a developer membership is not for you. I that case, sign up incrementally for the templates and support you need. (Keep in mind that the cost of a membership, 2, 6, 12 months is less than the cost of an hour or two of a professional coder’s time, and during your subscription time you can ask as many questions as you like.)

HTH
    • Thanks,
      jim
  • Re: Questions from a newbie

• Hi JEM,
      Thanks for the replies. :) I have a few more questions sir.

1. So do I lose access to 'all' the forums, or just the members only forum? I would gather that the members only area is were I would get 99% of the help I would need anyway. :)

2. Thanks for the steps to find the Joomla Basics. I will be going over those. Will I still have access to that information after my subscription expires?

3. Thanks for the feed back and info on kquickcart. Sounds like one of the two I mentioned mgiht be what I need. Is this the link for the Virtue mart you mentioned? virtuemart.net/

4. Again just to be sure. Is this the RS forum you mentioned? www.rsjoomla.com/joomla-components/joomla-form.html When you say the 'support' is great, that is a BIG selling point for a clueless nub like me. :)

(Keep in mind that the cost of a membership, 2, 6, 12 months is less than the cost of an hour or two of a professional coder’s time, and during your subscription time you can ask as many questions as you like.)
      So true! Thanks again for the direct answers. :)
    • If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain
  • Re: Questions from a newbie

• Sorry. Just realized this was the wrong forum for general questions. :oops:
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Questions from a newbie

• :arrowu: NP

Hi JEM,
      Thanks for the replies. I have a few more questions sir.

1. The Member’s Only forums are for members only, as are the template specific forums for whichever clubs you join. If you need a lot of help, especially if you are a ‘Newbie’, it really works out great. (I have seen complete beginners built sites from zero, or ask upwards of 50 question in the course of a few days, really worth the money IMHO, especially since answering detailed inquiries take a bit longer than answering one or two more technical questions).

2. Thanks for the steps to find the Joomla Basics. I will be going over those. Will I still have access to that information after my subscription expires? Yes, you will have the Quick Links link at the top of the page, most of these are directly for Joomla so you can just bookmark them.

3. Yes, that’s right virtuemart.net/

4. Yes, that’s right www.rsjoomla.com/joomla-componen ... -form.html (RSF used to have trial versions.) I was working with a trial versions a few years back trying to get it to work on a multilingual site. Alex solved the issues in a string of several e-mails, not an easy fix, I know it took him some over the course of the day, and he even sent me the retail version to work with for free and only asked me to pay if it worked. Of course I have several licensed versions, he’s made me a faithful customer. I’ve always received great support through their ticket system.

5. Yeah, as I mentioned before and above, it’s a bargain.
    • Thanks,
      jim

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds