Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Can we fine tune Gantry 5 horizontal layout to 1/10th% ?

• SOLVED Can we fine tune Gantry 5 horizontal layout to 1/10th% ?

Posted 7 years 10 months ago
    • Gantry 5 layout can adjust particles to a horizontal size in whole 1% increments. That equals about 1/8th of an inch on my page, which leaves some things out of line vertically. It would be very nice to make horizontal adjustments down to 1/10th of a %. Is there a way to do that? When I manually entered a decimal (e.g. 20.1%), Gantry refused to accept it. If it cannot be done now, could RT add this as a development request?
    • Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Pinto Buck.
  • Re: SOLVED Can we fine tune Gantry 5 horizontal layout to 1/10th% ?

• We did have this implementation down to the first decimal of pertentages to have a greater set of layouts to pick from. However we had to revert and keep it limited to the 100 (90 really, 5-95) thicks because the amount of combinations possible otherwise was too big. We would have had to include a greater amount of CSS code also in order to cover every combination. The difficulty on managing the layout from the admin, due to the micro resizing involved, was very confusing and hard.

It would be nice if you could open this as an issue in GitHub ( github.com/gantry/gantry5 ) and bring it up to everyone's else attention. Maybe it can be discussed there and if we see that this is a huge request feature we can bring it back to the table.

I personally always preferred the decimal. It solves a great amount of issues elsewhere too, because right now we are handling a few cases, like 33.3, 16.6, 14.2, 12.5..., as special and leave everything else integer, which I never personally felt very consistent.
      On the other hand I also recognize that the micro-tuning would be very cumbersome and clumsy, the usual use case is to always use whole numbers and with the decimals integration it was very hard to reach the correct % due to the many extra steps you now have in between.

Are you trying to apply this to the whole site or are you seeing yourself needing this in just a very specific case scenario?
      Also note that you can always tweak this behavior on frontend with some CSS, in case you are interested in just that let us know and we can provide extra help for it.

Thanks for the feedback!
    • / Djamil Legato / Lead Developer /

• The horizontal layout problem is in a Gantry 5 template which I'm building for the whole site. I'm going to try some work-arounds, then I'll let you know if I need some css help. Thank you for the offer.

I started a new issue on Github about fine tuning Gantry 5 horizonal layouts.

• Some thoughts/suggestions from a nonprogrammer (me):

1)It would be good to be able to adjust Gantry 5 horizontal layout to within 1/100ths of a percent (e.g. 20.33). Many computer screens are high definition, quite large, and they will show minor misalignments in the template layout.

2) That would require 10,000 classes in a style sheet (100% x 100 decimal settings), which may be impractical.

3) A Google search shows that some people put their classes into a database table, which seems like a good solution.

4) The time delay to access classes in the Joomla database could make the Gantry 5 drag and drop feature frustratingly slow or impractical.

5) Keep the Gantry 5 drag and drop feature the same as it is, with whole 1% choices from 1% - 100% (or typically from 5% - 95%).

6) Allow decimal settings (e.g. 20.33) to be put in manually. Then when users click the apply button, Gantry 5 will have time to access the database containing the 10,000 classes, and users will be expecting the minor time delay for results to show on screen.

• This issue was entered at Github.com as a suggested enhancement for Gantry 5. Mahagr suggested that he could accomplish the objective using flex, once Gantry abandons some of the older browsers (IE9) that do not support flex. Eventhough we don't have an immediate solution, I'm going to mark this issue as solved.

• My workaround solution was to set up my layout so that images lined up vertically to the nearest 1%. Then I used an image editor to crop a sliver off of one image to get it to line up. On another image I had to expand it a sliver using the image editor and allowing the aspect ratio to change as required. No one will notice a small 1% or 2% change in the image's aspect ration.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds