Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

IDEA: RocketTheme Freelancers

• Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: IDEA: RocketTheme Freelancers

Posted 18 years 3 months ago
    • Some great comments here, and Hans you have brought up some very good points. it's exactly because of these points that I didn't instantly create a forum for this. I'm thinking it over and if i do decide to do it will be really something that RocketTheme is not involved in aside from providing a venue for discussion. I'm not really interested in taking a percentage or anything like that. It would be an agreement made between client and freelancer and the work and terms would be in their hands completely, we will accept no responsibility. It will also be up to the client to research the freelancer etc, we will not provide any kind of certification or guarantee.

That said, I don't have time for doing customization work and I know some people really need help. There are folks in the club that do have time, would appreciate some extra income and are perfectly capable of offering these services. I don't have a problem with providing a forum for this type of discussion to take place. I just need to get the verbage sorted out :)
    • HNL
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Hi cory, may I quote you:
      "However, I think people understand that a freelancer is a freelancer and is not affiliated directly with RocketTheme."

You and I Cory undestand these things, but other people may not.
      The situation I described was a real live event that I witnessed.
      When people are angry, in general I would say, they tend not
      to be very rational. See a.o. all the flame wars on the net.

My trust in peoples ability in that respect is not very big,
      but maybe I am biased as I was a teacher in the slumdistrict
      of Amsterdam for many years and was always dealing
      with very difficult kids and parents (especially the latter).

If it happens like damo mentioned; Kenneth inviting people,
      then it could work, but still Andy has to tread very carefully.

I must say that I like the people around here very much
      and the whole atmosphere is like Andy described me in
      his answer to my pre-sales question.
      I really would like to preserve that atmosphere!

Cheers, HansNL
    • Cory Webb
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• A good example of this sort of thing working well is at Mambers.com/Joombers.com.

There is a separate "Commercial Jobs" forum for people to request help with the intention of paying for it. Some things to take note of in this forum are:

1) There are still literally thousands of posts with people offering free Mambo/Joomla advice - even people who do some of the "commercial" or freelance work.
      2) There have been disputes (some uglier and more public than others), but those eventually get handled by the parties involved, and no one blames Mambers.com/Joombers.com for the dispute. They recognize that it is between the parties involved and not between them and the site that happens to host the forum.

These are just some observations.

• I think its a good idea, to get things done for our selves or clients and learn in the process from other peoples work.
    • Youyou
    • Elite Rocketeer

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • Personnaly I think it is a good idea ;D
      And I'm sure it will never turn to a kind of thing Hans NL has described like "I answer your question for a payment".
      Because many of freelancers here are first civilized and then do that more to help than for making money ... by taking the occasion to improve their skills and learn with Andy's work.
      Personnaly it is my case, I'm absolutely not a webdevelopper, it is just a hobby I have discover this year because I needed to create a site for my charity.

Oops this post have not been answered since February ... ;D
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• I know that Andy's RT rules of use has a prohibition against posting mods on another website, but maybe that would be a good choice. Andy you could start a 2nd business of a team of developers that are there just to modify RT templates. The person needing a template with be referred to RT to join and then they can go to the 'Mod Club' to get modifications.

To add more quality contol, a developer mustbe RT certified in order to offer a modification.

Seperate types of modifications could be either assigned or performed.

Business
      Clubs and Societies
      Schools
      Holidays (Thomas Nielsen is doing this already)
      Special Occasions
      etc...

A seperate business ventur could add revenue while keeping control of the process.

Andy, Open Source is one thing, but RT is a business. Why couldn't a separate biz be set up o provide modifications. You might name it:

The RocketTheme Mod Club - or something. Just a thought.

dave
    • Last Edit: 17 years 6 months ago by .
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."
    • Jordan
    • Elite Rocketeer

• lmao youyou :P
      But... good way to make them remember

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds