Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Do extensions reduce the performance of joomla templates?

Do extensions reduce the performance of joomla templates?

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • Hello,

Do components, modules, plugins, mambots, etc effect the performance of templates? If this is the case, in what order do these extensions effect performance?
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

Re: Do extensions reduce the performance of joomla templates?

• I think it depends on the extension. If your extension is programmed to constantly download music, things may be a little slow - and the host might be mad - and the law might get you.

Seriously, most components and modules that are out there for Joomla don't deteriorate the performance at all. Even the most ambitious use of them is usually not an issue.

If you do have performance issues, it's usually because of a configuration of the hosting server that is not friendly to Joomla. That's a very rare occurance. Most server default settings are very Joomla compatable.

There are only a few components that may require you to alter the server settings. A full install of Gallery 2 might be one of them. With all the plug-ins for Gallery 2, your server may need more than the default 8 MB of memory allocated to run it, but even with an increase in server memory allocation, performance should not be effected - shared server or dedicated. Gallery 2, for performance, has a setting to choose between a shared or dedicated server.

Components and modules that are always churning away on some porcess can effect performance if you over-use them.

With Joomla 1.5, component and module developers will be required to adjust there programming to the newer, more stringent standards for speed, versatility and security. Many components and modules right now are packed with unsafe code that soon will be unacceptable.

Anyone else want to chime in here? I'm not a coder and don't know all the ins and outs of Joomla code.

dave
    • Last Edit: 17 years 6 months ago by .
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."
  • Re: Do extensions reduce the performance of joomla templates?

• If you have performance issues, it will most likely be because you're on shared hosting, not really Joomla.

Things that can reduce performance are any SEF extensions, any url re-writing, lots of extensions enabled, badly coded extensions that execute a lot of sql queries, such as some of the calendar ones.

Also, you can enable the caches in Joomla to help speed things up.

Also, if your the server admin, or you can talk to the server admin, installing pecl-APC will make a nice difference.

Still having issues, which I doubt, can always move to Lighttpd + APC + memcached.
      Depending on how hardcore you want to get :)

Re: Do extensions reduce the performance of joomla templates?

• I totally removed unused modules and components, and it really helped speed up my site.

I think it really depends on the 3rd party component.
  • Re: Do extensions reduce the performance of joomla templates?

• ^^Ditto^^ I agree that some extensions/mambots etc. definitely can slow your site down.
      A few examples would be extensions that add javascript files/calls into your template index.php,
      or load extra images etc.
      But really if theres a module/component/mambot installed that you don't need/don't use I also have noticed a slight increase in site responsiveness when it's uninstalled................
    • Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds