Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

A bold and dramatic concept

• A bold and dramatic concept

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • It's been a very busy couple of months for me, as I have been blessed with many great yet complex professional projects. As of this writing im running on 2 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours, and during this extended working period, as I work with some web design projects, I had an interesting idea for a joomla template.

Like many designers, I have looked at Microsoft's browser offerings with disdain; but lack of sleep has opened my eyes to new possibilities. I have decided to harness the unique properties of IE's rendering engine, turning them into exciting new features of a bold new template. These features help give the template a truly spontaneous and dynamic feel that no amount of php or AJAX could effectively produce.

My joomla template concept, I dub, theIEexperience. Never before has such a dynamic, abstract, and unpredictable template been attempted to my knowledge. Some highlights:

Feature One:

Margins and paddings are a big part of what is wrong with the web community. Too predictable, too linear, too boring! IE already offers the solution to this, a solution in the form of blatant disregard for traditionally accepted and margin and padding variables. Harnessing this strength of IE we can create a template that not only renders a beautifully abstract presentation of elements, but will also have a very dynamic feel as each user upon each refresh will experience a different set of paddings and margins.

Feature Two:

Text blindness had become an issue as of late, specifically with sites that display a lot of textual information. So much text that is ordered, aligned, and spaced evenly starts to all look the same. We can overcome this with a simple technique of presenting each block of text in a different way. Once again, IE provides us the tools, as we can now randomly display multiple forms of linespacing, alignment, and color all at once. Again, we achieve a dynamic environment as this experience will change upon each visit to the site.

Feature Three:

Lack of image definition and contrast is also a bane of the design community due to the increasing use of transparent png images. Many times logos and other image elements lose definition and crispness as they seemingly blend naturally into the site. IE combats this with the use of automagically generated white and gray backgrounds for most transparent png imagery to ensure that your design elements will not blend seamlessly into the background they are presented on. While there are workarounds to disable this feature of IE, it is not recommended and we will not be using it in our template.

These are just a few of the features of this design concept, im sure there are many more that I can brainstorm as time passes; its very possible IE will present me with other features i wasn't even aware of as I continue the design process. Sadly, one of my biggest hurdles has been, and will continue to be, recreating these effects in other browsers. Ive attached two images, the first one is a mockup of the template as viewed in IE, notice many of the dynamic elements are in place. The second image shows the design viewed in Firefox. Obviously, much work needs to be done to this second rendering to reproduce the IE effects.

Feel free to critique this design concept and offer your own ideas for theIEexperience. Once again I will state for the record, I am very, very tired.

Kevin
    • Last Edit: 17 years 6 months ago by Kevin DuCommun.

Re: A bold and dramatic concept

• Wow!!! That is a beautiful
  • Re: A bold and dramatic concept

• LMAO!
      ;D
      Great post!!!
    • Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    • Yves
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• So great and so true ! :D :D :D :D :D :D
    • Yves

• All i can say, is that Damo's coffee beans were very good ;)

• Kevin: I'm confused as to whether you're being sarcastic or serious. The first mockup looks terrible in IE,
      but the second mockup looks great in FireFox. Are you telling me that you're trying to make mockup #2 look
      more like #1? I'm not a graphics designer nor do I have any programming skills but doeth my eyes deceive me?
  • Re: A bold and dramatic concept

• Kevin: I'm confused as to whether you're being sarcastic or serious. The first mockup looks terrible in IE,
      but the second mockup looks great in FireFox. Are you telling me that you're trying to make mockup #2 look
      more like #1? I'm not a graphics designer nor do I have any programming skills but doeth my eyes deceive me?

It was indeed meant to be a small batch of sarcasm, a recipe created from 1 part "frustration" and 2 parts "sleep deprivation". :)

• Thanks Kevin. For a moment there, I thought that my "taste" in what looks good was severely affect. ;)
    • Dave Goodwin
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Howdy!!

• Very funny read, Kevin. I haven't used IE for almost three years - until just recently, I tried IE7.

Kevin, will IE7 still offer the 'non-linear features' that IE6 gives with most PHP?

And what about the Income Tax? Is that legal?

dave ;)
    • Last Edit: 17 years 6 months ago by .
    • "I'm an individual, just like everyone else."

• Some of the most honest, creative and real things come from sleep deprivation! Bravo for the design and the honesty. I am still exploring IE7. I have converted many of my friends to Mozilla Firefox and even Thunderbird for mail (got sick of being sent viruses). Even convinced a few to take a risk outside of AOL. ;)

But still - you have to work to the lowest common denominator - which continues to be IE.

I am a newbie here - but very excited to see your work. And to hear a frustration that seems to make sense only to those who have tried to design for other browsers. Still can't understand why the majority of people are still using IE - but they are. ???

Amazing Design!

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds