Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

People are funny

• People are funny

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • A couple times a year, I do a free site for someone. Usually a kids group or whatever. There's no real rhyme or reason to it, I'll just run into a site that is...well...bad...and if I know they are non-profit or if they get a ton of traffic I'll email them and offer them a free site-redesign.
      The other day I was going over the site for my favourite band, Seven Nations. It's an alright site, but when I noticed they dumped an OSCommerce into it through a frame, I made up my mind they needed a new site. I emailed them and offered a free site, no strings attached. I'm just a huge fan and knew I could do one up in about 15 hours and they'd be good to go. I listed off the components I would do and which Rocket Theme I thought would look best.
      Each time I do this, I get an email back asking me if I am crazy, a shamster, or otherwise up to no good. Now if I offered to do this for $500, they'd probably fly me out to their office for a meeting tomorrow.
      People are funny.

Re: People are funny

• Rick: Man, I wished I had met you about 8 months earlier! ;D Having said that, I'm glad I learned about Joomla and RT and am able to mess with my own site. Just out of curiosity, do you have links to some of these sites that you did?
  • Re: People are funny

• I've done some pro bono sites also. However I don't offer unless I know they are looking for someone to help them. Sometimes I see a bad site and it's done by the site owner or a friend of theirs and they are happy with the site so they would be offended if I said something to the effect that "your site sucks and I will do you and the world a favor by redesiging it".

Also, if someone contacts them from out of the blue offering a free website, for their own safety maybe they should be wary b/c for all they know the person could be using their site for distributing spyware, viruses or spam.
    • Dan L
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: People are funny

• I've offered a LOT of free sites, mainly community/church/charity, that sort of thing - mainly to local groups,schools etc.

The only reception I ever get is an email with a slightly offended tone ("our website is just fine, thank you") or complete ignorance of my email.

Very, very strange.
    • Toolbox Digital | Dribbble | Forrst

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds