Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Backwards and forwards compatibility

• Adrian Cooper
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Technologist, Published Author

Backwards and forwards compatibility

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • It seems that each month brings us to new heights with these awesome templates.

My question therefore is on compatibility. It is very easy to envisage updating to the latest and greatest themes in the future. Are these themes designed to be as future proof as possible; e.g. in terms of user module positions etc..

I hope the question doesn't sound too vague; basically all I would like to know is that I can take an existing site with RT theme and plugin the latest RT theme without compromising anything.

Thanks and for this exceptional resource.
    • www.ourultimatereality.com
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Backwards and forwards compatibility

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • I'm answering as best I can as Andy is busy at the moment moving house and I don't want your post going unanswered:

As of right now the answer is yes.

You can download the October theme and it works perfectly well with Mambo 4.5.2.3 and the latest Joomla release but with all systems things change. Next week sees the BETA release of Joomla 1.5 and with this comes a massive change for Joomla. It's basically a brand new code base and with that will come challenges.

To quote Andy in a previous post:
      I have already tested some of the templates and they all work fine in 1.5. The caveat is that you have to enable "legacy mode" in 1.5. You have to do this for any 1.X template though, and it only 'adds' 1.0 compatibility, it doesn't mean you can't use 1.5 features in legacy mode.
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden
    • Adrian Cooper
    • Elite Rocketeer

• damo wrote:
      I'm answering as best I can as Andy is busy at the moment moving house and I don't want your post going unanswered:

As of right now the answer is yes.

You can download the October theme and it works perfectly well with Mambo 4.5.2.3 and the latest Joomla release but with all systems things change. Next week sees the BETA release of Joomla 1.5 and with this comes a massive change for Joomla. It's basically a brand new code base and with that will come challenges.

To quote Andy in a previous post:
      I have already tested some of the templates and they all work fine in 1.5. The caveat is that you have to enable "legacy mode" in 1.5. You have to do this for any 1.X template though, and it only 'adds' 1.0 compatibility, it doesn't mean you can't use 1.5 features in legacy mode.

Thanks very much, that is very reassuring, but not my main question.

I was really asking about foreward compatibility across Rocketheme templates, not Joomla versions.

For example; if I am using say Mobius or Pixel Perfect today, and Andy comes up with something even better; which lets face it he tends to do, I want to be able to plugin the latest theme without compromising my content; user modules, menus, etc., of course within the context of the theme.

This must be a big question, because most of us takle alot of care with the layout of our sites, and we need to be able to update to a new theme without starting over.

Thanks.
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Then the answer is yes, as long as the 'new' template has the module positions you need. Your content and modules etc. will not be compromised ...
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden
    • Adrian Cooper
    • Elite Rocketeer

• damo wrote:
      Then the answer is yes, as long as the 'new' template has the module positions you need. Your content and modules etc. will not be compromised ...

Thanks; sounds good.

I was just looking at this as you responded, and noted that for example we have say Forest Fire with a "bottom" module position, then Mobius with "left" and "right" user positions and now Pixel Perfect with numbered user module positions. So the nomenclature keeps changing. The question then would be would a "bottom user module" in one theme correspond to a numbered user module in a later theme.

I hope this doesn't sound too convoluted; forward compatibility using the user modules provided is all I am really asking about so we can update from theme to theme in the future if appropriate.
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

• yes you can ... but sometimes, based on user requests and also design, you might not find all the same module posittions that you would have found on a fuller template ....
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden
    • Adrian Cooper
    • Elite Rocketeer

• damo wrote:
      yes you can ... but sometimes, based on user requests and also design, you might not find all the same module posittions that you would have found on a fuller template ....

Thanks!

I think it is reasonable to assume that as the templates get more advanced, they will tend to have more features than the previous, and will therefore be forward compatible.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds