Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Request: Community BUilder Club

• Request: Community BUilder Club

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • Andy,

You have an SMF club and a WordPress club...how about a Community Builder Template Club. Community Builder is the most downloaded Joomla Template ever, so you know there are plenty of users out there. Plus, the nature of the web is changing...web sites are as much about creating small communities now as they are about supplying content. More and more, the "C" in CMS is coming to mean "Community Management System."

The gang over at Joomlapolis.com is really nice and easy to work with. I know they would welcome your input, and all of Joomla would benefit. In fact, with your templates and the CB component, it would move Joomla much further toward competing with MySpace or Facebook right "out of box."

Roger
  • Re: Request: Community BUilder Club

• I'm doing a site right now that is a bit heavy with CB stuff, but I don't see how it needs a different template. This is actually the first Joomla site I've done with CB, so I may not be aware of all the functions.
  • Re: Request: Community BUilder Club

• Absolutely no criticism intended to anyone, but Community Builder definitely needs Andy's talents. I've done several CB sites and there's huge potential for Andy. Until someone actually does a great CB template, no one will know what we're missing, of course. If you've never had it, you can't miss it.

Here's an interesting article on the rise of "second tier" social networking sites: blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/002872.html

Time for Joomla to step up and become The CMS for these second tier sites.

Roger
    • mas
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: Request: Community BUilder Club

• lol nice idea - my vote is for a carbonation style cb template ;) Actually the default template goes pretty well with carbonation - what I think would be appreciated though would be templates that can speed cb up a bit because it can get pretty slow - not sure how much a template can help with that though :-\

I imagine Andy has his work cut out at the mo too :o

• Did you want a specific template per user on the profile page?

I'm also a bit confused. using cb now, but would like to use it to it's fullest
    • mas
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Dion Park wrote:
      Did you want a specific template per user on the profile page?

I'm also a bit confused. using cb now, but would like to use it to it's fullest

I wouldn't want this personally - you mean like myspace with users adding their own templates? That would be more of a plugin I think - not a rockettheme template. A Rocket Theme template would most likely just give you a nicer option than the ones that you configure in cb configuaration (defaul/luna and all that). I don't think its likely to happen though - partly because I'd have thought that at some point cb will be given a new method for templating because I think the current one isn't that east to modify.

What else confuses you about cb? I'm not an expert but I've spent quite a lot of time setting ours up so might be able to help

• For cb, i would like to better understand the search functions.

I have been trying to have advance search and memberslist show up on the same page, like the image i provided.

I would also be interested in general Tips and tricks. I found the joomlapolis forum to be unhelpful.

Thanks for your help, cb will be a intergal part of the site, and i just need to spend some time on it.
    • mas
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• you seem to have it set up pretty well - what is it that you're trying to do that it isn't doing already?

I'm not sure what you want from tips & tricks? It all depends on what your purpose is for it on your site. If it helps these are the features we use (for a volunteer based site)

- Personal info & achievements (user answers to different questions)
      - opinions (like cats vs dog, cheese vs chocolate etc.)
      - highest scores (related to DCS Flash Games component)
      - Events registered for (Atten Events Component)
      - Donations Management (custom component for managing fundraising)
      - picture gallery (nants gallery)
      - Guest book (below the tabs)
      - Recent Visitors (to the profile)
      - Awards (J Awards component - for people that have volunteered)
      - Forum (modified the plug ins on Joomlahacks so that it provides a link to allow people to change their forum info (our site is bridged with JSMF))
      - CV Builder (Custom component that allows people to print off a CV or resume based on their profile)

We're getting one developed now too which allows members to sign up for sms text alerts for things like event news and course availability etc.

I think its mostly about working out how you need your site to work for you and your members and then very often CB can be helpful in some way - if not theres always developers willing to develop something for you (although at a price!)

• Thanks Mas,

I have everything set-up about how i want it to look, But i haven't had time, to really think about how they will all incorporate with each other. Can you PM me your site, i would love to check it out.

I also am looking into yahoo and google authentication.

It would be great, if i can have someone sign up and register on my site, then give
      them the option to add in a Flickr's account and other services the 1st tier vendors are giving away.
      With all the mashups and API's out there, there should be a good way to implement services seemlessly
      into a community builder based site.
    • mas
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• sent u pm :)

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds