Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

internet gazette menu errors

• internet gazette menu errors

Posted 17 years 8 months ago
    • I can no longer access the template forums, so I don't know if anyone ever addressed the problem I posted in the Internet Gazette forum a couple of months ago. As of the time my membership expired, no one had solved the problem. Hopefully someone can help now, since I'm still getting complaints.

The problem was that the suckerfish menu did not work in MSN browsers, and the code just piled up on the left side of the page. I had the people affected visit the demo here to make sure it wasn't specific to my own website, and the problem was the same here. However, other variations of suckerfish, namely the original suckerfish from a list apart, work fine.

Has a solution been found?

• Last Edit: 17 years 8 months ago by Suzanne Barnett.
  • Re: internet gazette menu errors

Posted 17 years 7 months ago
    • I'm still hoping someone might be looking into this problem. My website is my business, and I've had a decrease in members and pageviews (income) because of the people that cannot browse our website since installing this theme. Not a huge difference, but we don't like excluding anyone. We'd greatly appreciate some sort of response.

• Bob Ateah
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: internet gazette menu errors

• I don't know if this will help your problem but here 'ya go:
      Graham Ball wrote:
      Hi all,

In another thread "Suckerfish menu flicker (SOLVED)", it was mentioned that the cause of the suckerfish menu flicker in IE was caused by requesting an update of the background image. This may cause some flicker, but in our case we traced the request back to the server (using Fiddler) and IE did not make such a request. We investigated it and I mentioned the following in that thread:Graham Ball wrote:
      I also had the filckering suckerfish menus in IE but not in Firefox. We investigated it a little and found that the problem seems to be noticible with a page that contains quite a few <LI> elements. On one page we have about 34 of them and it is very bad, and on another page with the same amount of text but no <LI> elements there is no visible flicker.

Actually, it turns out that this is not correct (it turned out to be a sysmptom of the real cause). After some more extensive investigation we found that the problem only occurs on pages where "overlib_mini.js" is included. This can be reproduced at will.

If I log on as an administrator our content items on a page are shown with an edit button beside the title. This button uses functions provided by overlib and in this case, the menus have the flicker.

If I log on to the site as a registered user our content items do not have the edit button and so overlib is not included. In this case for the same page as above, the menu does not flicker.

If I go to a page which has overlib included no matter what type of user is logged on (such as Phil Taylors KB component) then the menu will flicker.

If I go to a page which doesn't use overlib at all then the menu won't flicker.

Obviously there is some interaction between overlib and suckerfish on IE.

So if you find pages where the suckerfish menu flickers and other pages don't, it's likley that the flickering ones have overlib included.

Regards,
      Graham
      Graham Ball wrote:
      We have come up with a hack (I hardly think of it as a fix!) to the menu flicker caused by the interaction between Suckerfish and overlib functions in IE6. The hack involves editing the \js\ie.js script as below:
      sfHover = function() {
           var sfEls = document.getElementById("nav").getElementsByTagName("LI");
           var sfhoverTXT = new RegExp(" sfhover\\b");
           for (var i=0; i<sfEls.length; i++) {
                sfEls[i].onmouseover=function() {
                     this.className=this.className.replace(sfhoverTXT, "");
                     this.className+=" sfhover";
                }
                sfEls[i].onmousemove=function() {
                     this.className+=" sfhover";
                }
                sfEls[i].onmouseout=function() {
                     this.className="";
                }
           }
      }

The following simpler code also works in our site but I don't know if there may be other side effects for other sites
      sfHover = function() {
           var sfEls = document.getElementById("nav").getElementsByTagName("LI");
           for (var i=0; i<sfEls.length; i++) {
                sfEls[i].onmouseover=function() {
                     this.className="sfhover";
                }
                sfEls[i].onmousemove=function() {
                     this.className="sfhover";
                }
                sfEls[i].onmouseout=function() {
                     this.className="";
                }
           }
      }

The fix/hack is to duplicate the onmouseover operation in the onmousemove event. This was suggested by Caroline Doorley in www.archivesat.com/overlib/thread135742.htm .

The main issue with this is that the mouse cursor will flicker as the mouse is moved over the menu. This only occurs in IE6 it looks fine in Firefox.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Regards,
      Graham

Best of luck.
    • The member formerly known as Roland Deschain
      After your question is solved, please Edit your original post and choose the Solved message icon, thank you!
  • Re: internet gazette menu errors

• Roland, thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately it didn't solve our problem, but I appreciate you taking the time to try to help out :)

Maybe this will help the devs or whoever may know what is happening - The same problem occurred with IE6 and they created a new template which is called by :
      <!--[if lte IE 6]>
      <link href="/templates/jw_inetgazette/css/template_ie.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
      <![endif]-->

Without that little snippet, the menu is destroyed in IE 6. This is the same thing that is happening with the other version of IE - MSN IE

I was able to find someone with the affected browser that worked with me step by step to verify if any tweaks I made helped, and we finally found one that did. Similar to the above, we surrounded the template_ie.css with the conditional but without the lte.

<!--[if IE 6]>
      <link href="/templates/jw_inetgazette/css/template_ie.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
      <![endif]-->

She was suddenly able to use the menu with this tweak. I just hope it didn't break it for anyone else, lol.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds