Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Better Google Ranking in a Forum than on my own site?

Better Google Ranking in a Forum than on my own site?

Posted 17 years 8 months ago
  • Re: Better Google Ranking in a Forum than on my own site?

• How is it possible that my thread on the Joomla.org Forum about my website ranks higher (much higher) than my own site? [...]What is Joomla.org & MacNN Forum and the newspaper doing that's helping the hits rank so high on Google?

Because

* the page rank of rockettheme.com is higher then your site
      * more sites link to rockettheme.com
      I've heard about Sitemaps and Meta Descriptions/Keywords and things like that, but even when I have those things it didn't help

Attention, tuning websites for better ranking in google is not a realtime task. it taks time. If you change something on your websites, it depends on the google spider when he come back to scan your site again.
      There are metatags for it, but if you set them to (e.g) 2 days, and you dont have much new/changed content on your site, the bot will come less often.

So IMHO a very important step is, to use the url-rewriting feature of joomla. This will build clear url und the changes are much higher to get an full index of your pages. (2 Years ago, every site with www.example.com/index.ext?something (get parameter) was ignored and not being indexed.)

Second: Take full use of the meta tabs in your content, where you can insert keywords, description and such things. Use keywords or word-combinations that aren't on the page in combination with important keywords which are on the page. (e.g. "steve nguyen")

Let me show you some examples:
      www.bestheads.com <- my company's homepage.

www.entermedia.at <-- site of a customer.

search for entermedia:
      www.google.com/search?hl=de&q=entermedia

Customer rank 1
      Our site rank 4

Google change their ranking one in a while (so every 2 months). it is possible, you are 2 months rank 1 and suddenly you are on the second page.

hope it helps
      Ludwig
    • If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
      -- Abraham Maslow
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Better Google Ranking in a Forum than on my own site?

• a really important thing to remember about google is not many people actually know for sure how google works

there is an argument for example that the revisit tag (talked about above) doesn't work with google but you'll get quite a lot of people that say it does. those same people that say it does work may also say that if you ask the google bot to come back after 14 days and the content hasn't changed it works against you, which then takes you into another realm of goolge do's and dont's

a few simple things that will work to get you ranked higher, which maybe are not proven but seem to be generally thought of as good practise are;

keywords high up on the page and right at the bottom
      use title meta tags on each page
      extend the life of your domain; buy for 10 years!
      the fewer meta key words per page the better (don't have 20 keywords in your meta tags and only 3 of those words mentioned on the page)
      bold and underline (i dont do the underline thing as i dont like how it looks) key words to emphasise the importance

i'm sure there are lots of others; might be a good idea if people wanted to put thier own tips in this thread ...
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden

• Ludwig: What is this "url-rewriting feature of joomla" you speak of? I've never seen it. Can you direct me to it?
    • Yves
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• It's SEO (search engine optimization), activated in global configuration (last tab).

Your host has to support mod_rewrite.
    • Yves
  • Re: Better Google Ranking in a Forum than on my own site?

• Yves answered it. Take a look at the htaccess.txt in the root of your joomla installation. It has some explanation in it.

Ludwig
    • If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
      -- Abraham Maslow

• SEO, optimization, mod_rewrite...that's what I was afraid of. Man, this stuff is like Calculus to me all over again. I tried reading that "htaccess.txt" but didn't understand it at all. ???

Oh well, I'll just stick to whatever ranking Google gives me. I'm just happy to have a beautiful website set up. ;D

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds