Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Upgrading to Joomla 4.0

• SOLVED Upgrading to Joomla 4.0

Posted 1 year 4 months ago
    • Hi all

It's been a while since I have posted and the motive today is hat I am considering upgrading one of our main websites to Joomla 4.

I thought I would take this opportunity to renew my club membership and try some of the newer templates.

I really like the frameqork you guys are using here and the features that come with the Rock Sprocket modules.

Currently I use Vermilion for the excursions website but looking for something newer that will allow me to work with Joomla 4 & PHP 8.

Any suggestions?
    • Turning Ideas Into Reality Since 1995
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Upgrading to Joomla 4.0

• Anything from Callisto onwards is a g5 theme that you can use with j4 and php 8.0.x.

Gantry 4, Its themes, and any of the old RT "rok" extensions do not work with joomla 4 or php 8.

Check out the demos.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: What No Website

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED Upgrading to Joomla 4.0

• Thanks for that

I assume Vermilion can be upgraded also then?

I don't want to change the design on the sites that use that already that's all.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• There is a G5 version of Vermilion. But it's not an upgrade... there is no migration path from g4 to g5 - you effectively have to start over because the workflows are very different.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: What No Website

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

• OK, understood.

So for all the sites we have running vermilion G4 we're stuck with PHP 7 then?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Yes. But you really need to be moving to Joomla 4 because Joomla cease all support for Joomla 3 next August.

Regards, Mark.

• Thanks for that. I'm starting on the migration now.

This creates an interesting canundrum though...

The 1st and biggest website is currently...
      PHP 7.4 + Joomla 3.10.11 + Vermilion 1.8 + Gantry 4

What I would like to do is use the recently downloaded Flux template & Gantry 5. Will these work on PHP 7.4 and then Ican switch to PHP 8 once I have redesigned?

Doanloaded:

flux-1.5.0-template-joomla
      joomla-pkg_gantry5_v5.5.14
    • Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by What No Website.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Yes. Clone the site to a test are to do your development though - it's not going to be a 5 minute job.

Regards, Mark.

• Yeah. Agreed. Cloning the website isn't an issue but as it's a live site taking orders I'm going to have to use the same DB for orders etc.

Can you forsee any issues with Gantry 5 and Flux if I do this?
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• I am not familiar with what order mechanism you are using but I wouldn't anticipate issues (presuming you are copying just a specific order table and not the whole Joomla DB).

Read this before you start too https://rockettheme.com/forum/announcements-all/287272-gantry-5-5-x-release-important-notes-before-you-update?start=0#1441743 .

Also make sure that your are familiar with Gantry 5 before you attempt this (try a rocketlauncher demo site).

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds