Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

You are not authorized to access that page, please login...

SOLVED Any advantage of Gantry 5 Particle over Module Position?

• bobjenson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Online Marketing

SOLVED Any advantage of Gantry 5 Particle over Module Position?

Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    • I'm finally getting into using a Gantry 5 template. Looking good so far, I really like the versatility.
      But there's one thing I can't understand so far and that is; what is the advantage of using a Particle over simply assigning a module position and creating a module into that position?

EG.
      Option 1:
      I can see there is a Mosiac Grid Particle available. So I assign this grid into let’s say the Showcase position. That’s all well and good but if I want that grid to only show on pages A, C and E, I would have to create template overrides (or whatever they’re called…where I assign templates to certain pages). And I would think for complex sites, I would end up with many template overrides.

Option 2:
      Isn’t it simpler to assign a Module Position Particle to the Showcase position, then create a RokSproket (or whatever module I want) module, assign it to that position and set which pages I want it to be displayed upon. Doing it this way mean I don’t need as many template overrides.

So what am I missing here? What is the advantage of option 1? Is it a performance thing and/or something else?

Thanks.
    • Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by bobjenson.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Any advantage of Gantry 5 Particle over Module Position?

• You're right that is is preferable to use module positions to putting particles directly on the layout because it means that your outlines don't become page specific and therefore you keep the number of outlines to a minimum.

But for things like "logo" "menu" "copyright" etc it's convenient to put them on the layout as they're not going to change between your "pages" (menu items). By changing the settings for those particles in the base outline, you are still able to change those settings just once and have them be inherited by any other outline. Of course it also makes it a bit more obivious to exactly what you have on the layout.

By putting particles directly on the layout you could more easily switch CMS's because particles are CMS agnostic.

So, if you look at the templates we produce largely they consist of a minimal number of outlines with predominantly module positions on the layout.

I hope that helps.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: bobjenson

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • bobjenson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Online Marketing

Re: SOLVED Any advantage of Gantry 5 Particle over Module Position?

• Great, that makes a lot of sense. Yep, I have a bit to learn re Gantry 5 but I'm really liking it so far. Like the versitility in position layouts (EG. I can choose Showcase A to 44% width, Showcase B to 56% width) and how I can easily embed code without the need to use a plugin.

And thanks for the quick reply, great support as usual RocketTheme :)

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds