Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Gantry5 and changing templates

• Dan Walker
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Designer/Developer

SOLVED Gantry5 and changing templates

Posted 8 years 7 months ago
    • I am struggling to get my mind around G5 and particularly the use of particles. The troubling aspect of particles to me is that all the information in particles is stored in yaml files and not in the database. How can I change the template for my website easily if the information is in all these yaml files? Previously in G4, the information was in Joomla modules. You would simply select a new template and all the information is still there from the database. You tweak a few settings and you have a new template working. I don't see how you can change templates with G5. What am I missing?
    • Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Dan Walker.
    • The following users have thanked you: Terp, Scott

• Dan Walker - Web Designer & Developer @ Top Webs Network
      Custom Joomla & Wordpress Websites
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Re: SOLVED Gantry5 and changing templates

• Yes particles at this stage are an issue when adding another template to an existing Gantry 5 template. To see our plans for this please see " Import/Export "
    • Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by DanG.
    • Scott
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Dan beat me to asking the question (thanks)
      import/export asap guys
      I just tried changing from callisto to the latest design and it was like starting from scratch ... no few simple tweaks like gantry 4
      my 3 cents
      :)
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    • Scott wrote:
      Dan beat me to asking the question (thanks)
      import/export asap guys
      I just tried changing from callisto to the latest design and it was like starting from scratch ... no few simple tweaks like gantry 4
      my 3 cents

To be fair Callisto was our first Gantry 5 template out and I would say that the templates after Callisto are better at template interchangeability as instead of Particles existing in the Layout Manager the newer templates use module position's from which the Gantry 5 particles are called. So even if your newly installed template doesn't have the same Block setup as the old one it's just a matter of calling existing module position's sitting in module manager.

If you look at the layout of Sections in Kraken and Callisto you will see they are very similar which helps interchangeability.
      CALLISTO:
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

KRAKEN:
      This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.
    • The following users have thanked you: Scott

• Scott
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Posted 8 years 6 months ago
    • Lol it was me changing my personal site from callisto to kraken that caused me to ask this .... sort of toasts everything and it wasnt a simple rename of of positions to fix

using the module position particles like u have makes sooo much easier if i was using a later (and i guess gantry4) type template and changing to say kraken

The last episode scared me away from kraken so i must play again

many many thanks 4 the detailed reply .... i learned heaps

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds