Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry blocking PHP upgrade

• mjkahngr
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Gantry blocking PHP upgrade

Posted 11 months 3 days ago
    • We have two related sites built for the same client with Rt_vermillion v 1.8. They are loaded on Joomla 3.10.11, Joomla Platform 13.1.0 Stable, Gantry 4, and PHP 7.3.33.

The recommended version of PHP for Joomla 3.10.11 is version 8.0. Because we are using 7.3.33 we cannot add a plugin that requires a newer version of PHP.

One of my web developers tells me we can't update PHP to 8.0 due to the Gantry version we are currently using.

What are our options? Is there a way to update PHP to 8.0?

Thanks is advance.

Mitch
    • Mitch
    • Karol Orzeł
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • One Crazy Dev

Re: Gantry blocking PHP upgrade

Posted 10 months 3 weeks ago
    • Hello Mitch,

You are indeed correct that Gantry 4 doesn't support PHP 8.0. The main solution here would be to upgrade your template to a Gantry 5 version, which does support PHP 8.0.

In your case, you would need to migrate to the Vermilion template based on Gantry 5. The transition is not a direct update, but a migration, as Gantry 5 is a different framework from Gantry 4. While this does require some work, it will make your site more future-proof and compatible with the latest PHP versions and Joomla versions.

The migration process involves installing the new template, then recreating your layout and content in the new framework. You can find more detailed instructions on how to perform this migration in the Gantry documentation .

I hope this information helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best,
      Karol
    • karolorzel.com

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds