Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry, Prest styles, and default template

• Gantry, Prest styles, and default template

Posted 12 years 7 months ago
    • I asked this in the radiance forum but thought this may be a better place.

I have just started a site based on the radiance template. The only way I can get a template style to display is to go into gantry and specifically assign it. Gantry seems to pay no attention to the default template set in template manager and if no template is assigned to a page in gantry it defaults to the preset1 style instead of the default template.

Am I doing something incorrect or is this the expected behavior?

Is there any way to bypass the gantry assignments and revert back to the Joomla default template?

Would deleting all preset styles and clearing all gantry assignments accomplish this?

There are extensions that can change the default template that will not work with the gantry assignment system. I also nearly pulled my hair out trying to figure out why all of my changes were not showing on the website, so this may be good for noobs like me to understand.

Thanks
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

Re: Gantry, Prest styles, and default template

• Hi there,

Are we talking Joomla 1.5 or 1.7? In either case I have no trouble with Joomla recognising the default template, Gantry or otherwise.

Can you PM me with a temporary Super Admin access please and I will take a look to see what the cause may be.

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
  • Re: Gantry, Prest styles, and default template

• David, thanks, pm sent.

Joomal 1.7, radiance 1.1 and latest gantry. I copied the master template style, renamed and made changes. this is named SHC Default in there and is set as the default. In the gantry settings I have that style assigned to the first three menu items. All menu items set to use default joomla template in menu manager. So in theory all pages should show the same style, but the remaining unassigned menu items show the preset1 style. I have enabled the preset menu item so you can see if you change the prest style then that is what loads, and if you clear the cache it goes back to preset1. So somehow preset is overriding the default template.

thanks again.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• I think you're having some kind of permissions issue. I assigned your FAQ menu your SHC Default style settings. Then I created some unique styling in the main body area and tried to save it as preset6a.

It returned an error saying it couldn't write to the /template/rt_radiance_16/customs/presets.ini file. So I uploaded using the OSE File Manager I installed on your site and uploaded a preset called preset6a that I created from my local install of Radiance and the changes took.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Nice find DanG - Thanks for checking this one out - I was going problem blind on this one :shock:

Cheers

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information

• David and Dan, thanks both for taking a look at this.

I was not even trying to save preset styles, so this is new to me. I can duplicate the error message above, and have gone in and changed permission to full write for every item in that file path and still get the same error message and failure to save preset. Not sure what to do past that.

And are you saying that in order for my custom style to be shown as the default it needs to be saved as a preset? This is not the way I understood this. I thought creating a custom style, saving it, and setting it as the default should work for any item set to use the default.

any insight here appreciated, I am really trying to understand this and am getting (more) confused. Thanks.
    • DanG
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Custom work done

• Patrick Breen wrote:
      And are you saying that in order for my custom style to be shown as the default it needs to be saved as a preset? This is not the way I understood this. I thought creating a custom style, saving it, and setting it as the default should work for any item set to use the default.
      No your correct you don't have to. I did not mention in my previous post :oops: that on entering your Template Manager for the customized styles - none were assigned to a menu.
      So if you are making specific one of only changes then do that and assign to the menu pages that you what the changes to appear on.
      If you intend using sets of customized stylings for menu pages then it might be advantageous to create a preset.
      As far as the permissions issue goes it's probably some kind of ownership issue as your permissions were fine for the custom/ folder. Check with your hosting provider about this.

• Thanks for all the help, here is where everything is-

I think you nailed it on the permissions, but things seems to be messed up from an early stage so I deleted everything and started with a clean slate. Instead of rocketlauncher this time I did a clean install of J1.7 and then the radiance bundle. Configuration.php was coming up unwritable which seemed to be causing some issues, writeable for now but I need to see if I need to change it back for security. Everything seems to be running very smooth now, gantry much quicker than before.

As for the menu assignments- I know everything was unassigned. Other templates, such as the default joomla ones, will show the default template for unassigned items. For radiance, it always shows the master template, not the duplicated template I changed and renamed and set as default. The only way for my duplicate to show is to assign it. I wanted to keep an original copy of the template, so the easy solution is to save a duplicate as the original and make changes to the master. I did not see this explained anywhere and it was unexpected, so it took some time to figure out. So for Radiance template (any gantry template, don't know?), Master = default, and any copies of master with changes must be assigned.

Thanks again, working through this helped me on a deeper joomla / gantry level than had I not had issues.

• that is solved for me. 8)

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds