Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Setup Grunge for Wordpress with RokStories for dummies

• Wild Bill
    • Rocketeer
    • Zippy Networks

Setup Grunge for Wordpress with RokStories for dummies

Posted 12 years 1 month ago
    • OK - so I have been playing with this for a couple hours... will someone walk me through setting up articles to use with RokStories and the Grunge template for WORDPRESS...

After installing (subscription paid) RokStories Plugin,

1) Settings for widget Frontpage override...
      Appearance -> Widgets -> Frontpage
      .... Showcase
      .... I removed the Text Widget (demo text content)
      .... I dragged RokStories Widget to Showcase
      NEED SETTINGS HELP - I found an old post but the settings shown were not matching to the new plugin options...

2) Article/Post demo content to match demo site...
      Please provide brief article to match demo content.
      Please provide brief overview of important code - it would be really cool if there was a code editor with basic templates to use to create the showcase articles or showcase articles that link to pages or other content...

Any help is much appreciated - this is for a non-profit community website I volunteered to help on...
    • Wild Bill
    • Rocketeer
    • Zippy Networks

Re: Setup Grunge for Wordpress with RokStories for dummies

Posted 12 years 4 weeks ago
    • Many have read this post but none care to comment? If this has been discussed elsewhere please advise - but I can not seem to find anything to cure my site problems and lack of knowledge on this feature.

I upgraded my membership to include wordpress club so I could have the RokStories plugin, however there is little to NO support for the plugin that I have found.

Any help is much appreciated.
    • Wild Bill
    • Rocketeer
    • Zippy Networks

• 3 days of trying to figure it out... guys this stuff literally Rocks... however when you have no documentation for the plugin for Wordpress or its hard to find - then you don't respond to forum posts - then you respond to contact request form but dont answer the questions - its hard to want to stay a customer...

If anyone knows any alternatives to RokStories please let me know... I have seen something called coin slider - but don't like the transitions... Is there something someone else can recommend that is documented or has a dev team that is responsive to paying customers?
    • Wild Bill
    • Rocketeer
    • Zippy Networks

• Decided to scrap RokStories for WP.. going with another more documented plugin and requesting a refund from RT... Too bad... WP themes are pretty nice - but my target is Joomla sites... this is what I get for trying to help a nonprofit with a WP site..

RT peeps - if you are out there - seriously recommend that you post a how-to and install setup instructions page for each of your WP plugins as they differ a bit from the joomla stuff...

Especially if you are going to showcase it on a template - even more especially if the template is a free one you want to market your club and other plugin upgrades on to entice visitors to upgrade to be able to get these other templates and fancy plugins - should always tell visitors how you did something on a demo... I have found little to no documentation on WP RokStories and less still on integrating it with Grunge template or how to setup the articles and plugin settings so that it works correctly...

Sorry to do this - but I am going to ask for a refund on this one...
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

• Hello, it's important to understand that Grunge is a free template and RokStories is a paid extension, that is why it is not included in the release. This also means you did not have to pay for it and in any case our refund policy is clear in stating that there are no refunds.

You have done a great job of explaining that you are having trouble. You have not provided us with any information about the problem, or a link to your site. What are you having trouble with exactly?

RokStories is not that complicated. You set up a category to put your posts in. You put your text in the post and assign an image in the RokStories field in the post editor. Then you assign the widget to read that category. Many of the default settings don't need to be changed in many cases. You'll need to be more specific with your questions if you require a more specific answer.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
    • Wild Bill
    • Rocketeer
    • Zippy Networks

• Well... obviously I thought it would be as easy as it is with joomla, however something is nit working correctly thus the reason I sent detailed request in email and referenced these posts...

I did write article posts, they did not display. I tried several configuration changes, still nothing, some comfigs actually broke the template and ended up with text only showing ... or nothing at all...

I reset and tried several ways before searching forums for help.

I thought it,must be a config issue on my part or there was perhaps some special tag I was missing to include in the post... but all I found was info for joomla rokstories. I found several unanswered posts from similarly frustrated club members who did as I.. saw a cool integration of WordPress, tried the free demo to realize rocketlauncher does not have all plugins as its a paid one so after a while of playing with the good themes you put out decided to join the club to have access to the paid plugins.... only to be frustrated that there is little to no documentation, examples for setup or other specific instruction to get a working copy of the functions and features of the demo site upon which one can learn by doing in the absence of good documentation..,, apparently because the plugin is just so self explanitory that it requires money... however I did as I thoughta nd found errors... looking to figure out what I did wrong I find nothing but other frustrated posts... then when I ask for help in email support I'm asked to which post I'm referring. So I post requests for examples and request for dev team to write short but detail how to so that anyone can follow and get site to function as the demo site does but instead of getting answers I'm get nothing... when I write again to support I get another person asking me to reference posts... so I reply with the links to the ones... nothing again for a day... no big deal.... I ask again and am met with your passive aggressive side more or less calling a paying customer a dip for nit figuring it out and still nit responding to the post with a detailed how to....

If I could figure it out... I would not be here.... I'm telling you the plugin does not functionn properly for unknown reasons. I gave you in 3 of my direct emails my site link and admin login info to see if its just a setup or permissions issue... but you keep asking for links to forum posts... so I provide them and you chastise me here instead of answering...

I just want to get the darn thing to work... as I said in my emails I think I'm missing something simple... feel free to let me know....

Site.chisholmtrailcharge.org

Grunge, wordpress 3.3.1

I disabled all other plugins temporarily then tried the rokstories plugin again... same problems. So I reactivated rest and requested help from developers site here, then went on to work on site layout and basic posts to fill time and space for a working draft of the site minus the front page showcase with rokstories which I think would make the site look and function better if it was working thus the reason I am still writing seeking assistance.

Any advice is appreciated...
    • Wild Bill
    • Rocketeer
    • Zippy Networks

Posted 12 years 3 weeks ago
    • I figured its got to be something with how I am writing my posts now... any advice on how to properly structure the articles so they display well with RokStories?

use of <more> or should we use the <div class="readon">

Having trouble getting beginning of post to divide and then bring read more button up in proper location...
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

Posted 12 years 3 weeks ago
    • Hi, the only formatting going on in the demo is a <p></p> tag around the text. Do you have an image assigned to EVERY post? I'm seeing some blank images when I load your site. If there isn't an image in the RokStories image field in every single post, RokStories will not load, it requires the image to work.

As far as the more vs. readon, it really depend on how you want to do it. The only advantage of using the readon button is that you can make it link to something other than the post.

If none of that helps, PM me your login and I'll take a look.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
  • Re: Setup Grunge for Wordpress with RokStories for dummies

Posted 11 years 5 months ago
    • Guys really need your help on this one.

RokStories is "almost" OK at my client site.

The pictures are misplaced for the first round, meaning that after you see the 3 images, no matter if by pressing the arrows or because of autoplay, the images get to their correct placement.

Please see the attachment for further explanation.
    • Newman is your friend. Please help him or feel guilty.
  • Re: Setup Grunge for Wordpress with RokStories for dummies

Posted 11 years 5 months ago

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds