Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Adobe Fireworks or GNU/GPL Gimp ?

• epinoa

Re: Adobe Fireworks or GNU/GPL Gimp ?

Posted 15 years 3 months ago
    • 1. End users don't need to change the backing track reverb to listen to music. Your customers DO need to change the Logo to use your product.
      2. Remixers - which are the closest analog to your customers - can use any software or hardware they desire - although it is easier to use what the creator used.
      3. If you want your own music source code (sic) go to acidplanet.com - no goodness of heart required.
      4. THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT !!!!

BTW - I think you make great templates - even with their foibles they are some of the best out there - However if some new kid on the block appeared with decent quality templates, which didn't need pro-software to make a finished product, me and your other customers with simillar opinions are going to be considering them. Customers are very fickle friends. Currently, unless I buy fireworks my 1 year membership is actually 30 days.
    • maturity is the stage before senility
    • Ragdata
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Software Engineer

Posted 15 years 2 months ago
    • As I've said before though - there is absolutely no requirement to use Fireworks to work with a logo. I STILL prefer to use something like PhotoImpact or GIMP to work with logos, and I use Fireworks to work with little bits and pieces out of the sources to 'value add' for my customers.

In my profession, the customer only THINKS they're right until you've shown them the error of their ways.

You simply do not NEED Fireworks to work with logos in these templates.
    • Ragdata's Rubber Duck
      www.ragdata.net/
    • rawraj
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Posted 14 years 8 months ago
    • Some very arrogant replies there.
      I was directed when I posted something similar, regarding photoshop, I am not in there for XARA. I thought that company closed down :-P.
      Either I have not understood this Joomla templating business or Rockettheme is a totally different community. By different I mean the minority is majority here.
      It is obvious, since it is very clear that RT started of this business using fireworks. The people who joined and have remained are the ones who are comfortable using fireworks.
      People like me(the photoshop users) have come and gone.
      I will be gone too.
      I just need to see if there is money back policy and I will be out of here sooner.(if I can get my client to change the design that is)
      My idea of templates is, you buy it you just edit it a little and then you use it and give it to your client.
      You use it when you client has a deadline to meet and you cannot give him options.
      Here you can give them options from the various templates and once they choose one you just download that and work on it.
      Now this is where the problem comes, fireworks needs a learning curve.
      I find it very deceptive that this is not explicitly mentioned even though it is very obvious that you have had this issue raised several times and people have left.
      You can see the arrogance and the frustration in Andy millers reply cause he has argued this issue to death.
      I feel deceived because if I had seen anywhere ONLY PNG source available WE DO NOT PROVIDE PHOTOSHOP OR ANY OTHER FORMATS. I would not have been here.
      Now I took this membership two days ago and I have finalized a design and now I need to get used to fireworks to actually just do some simple editing.
      Seriously I am in trouble.
      Any Miller, if I reproduce any of your templates pixel for pixel in photoshop PDS format will rockettheme start providing psd too???
      That is all I ask. I and almost any decent graphic artist of web designer knows that you cannot export from one format to another format pixel to pixel. DUH! we wouldn't be raising this issue we would have used the fireworks, export to photoshop plugin!!!!
      What a RT needs to do is hire a good photoshop desinger who can replicate the fireworks desings into photoshop
      I just did it right now. The only problem is I got most of it right, but the menu background(in affinity template) have gone a different shade and do not have that soft look.
      Now I and any decent photoshop user will know how to create that soft look from a scratch. Maybe a few days of work continuously on that or maybe even a week( I really do not mind if photoshop sources are released 15 days after the template is released) All it needs is one overhead just one more guy who is an expert and RT you will get all of use photoshop users as your customers!!!
      I mean was that so hard for you to figure out or you just plain arrogant and biased??
      Now I really do not know how much time it will take me to re-create the template from a scratch but after exporting it to pds I found that the most difficult parts(for a photoshop user) the vectors have exported well. I looked at the gradients in firefox and I do not undertand it.
      How do you expect me to recreate them in photoshop.
      So that means I have to recreate from the "eye" that is just by looking at it.
      If you are lucky that can take just a few minutes for something simple and if you are not lucky(that is you get brain fog) then it will take hours and even days.
      That is something that you(RT) should be doing for the money we pay you. You release the sources a little late no problem.
      But I know that I can just pick up your templates and start working.
      You know something like a gradient for a button is so simple for me to edit in photoshop right now.
      I just click that in the fx and change the two colors and in 2 minutes its changed
      I looked at the PNG in fireworks and I was struglling for 10 minutes just to accustomed to the layout and panel.
      I think RT theme needs a review to be written(I would love to write it I am a consumer activist on the web a part of many forums).
      I think the main points would be.
      Unless and only unless you are going to work solely on RT templates then only you should join
      If you have design other static sites on photoshop forget about it. Well you can take an advanced course in fireworks for atleast a year. I think it would take that much time to do the magic you can do in photoshop that took 7 years for you to learn.
      Seriously I am going to cut my review short here :-P because this is the most ridiculous point or expectation of RT, There are so many people who have been working on photoshop for years. And then you expect us to "learn" fireworks!!!!
      Do you think we wil be able to give the same quality of work.(atleast i am not confident of that)
      So to say also what I learnt is that templates are not for faster deployement.
      Atleast not RT templates. Or rather without taking a course in fireworks and changing the way you design the rest of your work(apart from joomla).
      So if you only live joomla eat joomla and do not really care much about the tool you use because you started to design site on RT and firworks then only you can really do something worthwhile in here.
      Wow its late I need to spend time trying to re-create this damn template my client selected rather than waste time here.
      My the tone your the responses regarding this issue I doubts if anything will change here.
      But seriously I just don't get it, there was time when static template sites started releasing PNG version fo their templates. Because a lot of people started using fireworks and mostly many people(who did not anything about web design) actually went into this business after seeing the templates that were provided by macromedia with dreamweaver. They said this is easy I can make some good side business.
      Sorry to digress. what I meant was that in those days many template companies took the time to release PNG versions of their PSD templates just to rake in the fireworks users. As soon as they release their template they would announce that PNG version will be ready shortly and normally in a week it would be ready. Many companies(that really did not create such outstanding templates) release the PNGS along with the PSD at the same time.
      I just don't understand why RT never thought of just hiring a good photoshop expert. Especially when you release only 1 template a month.
      Sometimes there are bugs and you keep updating the templates. Why not after a week(and some of the templates I sure it would take maxumum 3 days) release the psds.
      i would stay back and many would take an account with RT.
      Because if you had followed that policy all the templaters released would have had PSDS. Only the current template would not have them and we can wait seriously.
      I would understand the point that miller was making , that you people are the designers and you do a fabulous job on fireworks so it would be wrong to ask(at the risk of the quality) to ask you switch over to photoshop. But dont you think you people are asking exactly the same from us photoshop users!!! Ever thought about that.
      So please hire a dedicate photoshop designer
      Better still you could just outsource it. Since the work is around 10 to maybe 50 or even 100 hours, outsourcing it to experts would be cheaper than paying an expert a monthly salary. You can use the companies that make templates in such a way that are easy to customize in photoshop. They would do the job way faster too.
      Or you could hire a dedicated staff on contract until he converts all the old templates to PSD and then go in for the outsourcing option. I am sure it will work
      Why did you never think of that.
      Instead of sitting and arguing and losing all the customers.
      Stop being so uptight
      Customer is always right and in the case of photoshop we dang well are :-)
      you cant force us to switch(or confuse us and spoil our workflow)

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds