Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Problem with RocketLauncher Installation

• JeanWTPUSA
    • Management Consultant

SOLVED Problem with RocketLauncher Installation

Posted 13 years 4 months ago
    • I installed Joomla via fantastic on my siteground account. I also installed the sydicate template.
      I want to install a 2nd copy of jooma in a sub-directory so I can test the sydicate template, so I created a sub-directory called sydicate. I want to use rocketlauncher to install the DEMO of syndicate into this sub-directory. I used FTP to transfer the rocketlauncher files into the sydicate folder but the installation didn't work.

How do I install the rocketlauncher syndicate demo into a sub-directory and how do I i create a database for the sub-directory because the cpanel will only allow me to create a database for my main URL? Any help would be appreciated. If I install rocketlauncher into the sub-directory will it screw up my 1st Joomla install in the ROOT?

My webhost says I don't have to change any file names, but after my attempt to install into the sub-directory didn't work, they suggested I contact Rocketheme. If you could give me step by step instructions to do this, that would be appreciated. Again, thanks so much!
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: SOLVED Problem with RocketLauncher Installation

• hi there,

i decided to split your post from the original topic as it seems not related.

you can have as many joomla installs on a domain as you like, just make sure to use a NEW database for each install.

you can have several subdirectories with joomla installs, for example:
      www.yoursite.com/paradox
      www.yoursite.com/syndicate
      etc.
      even if you already have an install under www.yoursite.com

you can create the new databases in your cpanel as usual, it does not matter if the databases will be used for an install in the root ( www.yoursite.com ) or in subdirectories as mentioned above.

unfortunately you do not mention how the install did not work, did you get any error messages or what exactly happened?

i also use siteground for some sites and testing installs and never had an issue there. :)
    • Kat05 / QA Lead & Support / Germany
    • JeanWTPUSA
    • Management Consultant

• Thanks for the reply. I had siteground recreate the original install for my account and I will try again. I will first try to install Rocketlauncher in a subdirectory and then I will install Joomla via Fantastico in the root. I hope this works. I appreciate the input. I will repost if all is okay or if I receive errors.
    • JeanWTPUSA
    • Management Consultant

• Okay, It didn't go so good. I installed Joomla in a sub-directory on the root.
      my directory was www.agreatagent.com/syndicate . I set up a MySQL database called "Syndicate" for this install.

When I tried to access the administrator page by typing in the URL www.agreatagent.com/syndicate/administrator , I get a 404 error. I do not know how to access my Joomla administrator panel for this subdirectory, can someone help?

I stopped there, I did not upload the main Joomla installation files on the root yet, I am trying to get the subdirectory to work before I do the second installation via Fantastico.
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• At what point did it stop working, or did the install not work at all?

When I go to www.agreatagent.com/syndicate , I get the following error:

No configuration file found and no installation code available. Exiting...
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • prim
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Can you please try to install Joomla the normal way instead of using Fantastico? :)
    • Please reply with a direct link to the issue & create a new thread for each new issue.

A template is only as good as the content that goes into it ;) - DanG
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Starting over:

www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=15..._v=viewtopic#p321320

RL Install Notes:

For quick reference:

NOTE!!!

The Rocket Launcher is for a fresh install ONLY.

It contains a complete version of the latest Joomla release, the template, extensions, and all the sample data you see in the demo. Note: Never use the Rocket Launcher without the Sample Data!
      Kevin DuCommun wrote:
      The RocketLauncher should never be used unless the sample data is installed. The whole point of the RocketLauncher is to give users a way to get up and running quickly by replicating the demo. All of this is accomplished with the use of the database information in the sample data sql.

Without installing sample data, the RocketLauncher is not only the same as a default joomla install with no sample data, but it will actually be badly broken as the launcher contains all of the files and directories for the extensions used in the demo, but none of the database information will be present.

This means that if a user installs the RocketLauncher, but does not install the sample data, most of the extensions will not work as they won’t be detected by joomla, and attempting to install them will cause errors and fail because while Joomla doesn't see them, the directories and files are there.

Basically, there is nothing to gain by using the RocketLauncher without the sample data, and it will cause a whole lot of issues down the road.

You can not use the Rocket Launcher in an existing install of Joomla. If you already have an existing install of Joomla, you will need to apply the template file to it.

In addition to the template file, you’ll need to download and install the extensions for the template. These can also be found in the download area for the template.

Unzip the Rocket Launcher.

A) Install in the root. FTP the contents of the folder to, depending on your platform, public_html or httdocs

B) Install in a folder. FTP the folder and its contents to, depending on your platform, public_html or httdocs

Note: You can name the folder to anything you like. The default name of the folder is the template name. So you may want to change it to something more friendly, e.g., ‘site’ ‘cms’, etc.

Alternately, you can upload the zipped RL package and extract it on your server through the control panel.

Note: If you have this option, it’s the way to go. It’s much faster to upload a zipped file and extract it on the server than it is to upload a few thousand files. There are also a few other advantages; doing so eliminates the possibility of a file getting missed or corrupted in the upload, sometime what seems to be a good transfer will produce a file not found’ error later on, and this also prevents any strange file permission changes.

As host control panels vary, specific instructions can’t be included here, but you’re sure to find instruction or help in your host’s tutorials, FAQs, or by contacting their support department.

Before you start, you’ll need to create a database on your server.

This is done through your host’s control panel through phpMyAdmin, or the interface used for creating databases. As host control panels vary, specific instructions can’t be included here, but you’re sure to find instruction or help in your host’s tutorials, FAQs, or by contacting their support department.

Once you’ve uploaded the Rocket Launcher files and created a database, browse to the folder,

You don't have to navigate to the installation folder, if Joomla hasn't been installed yet, it will navigate to the install directory automatically. (How cool is that?!)

If it’s in the root:

Note: It's a really simple point, but don't be confused by the ' www.mysite.com/ ' replace 'mysite.com' with your site's URL, for example, here it would be www.rockettheme.com/

If it’s in a folder:

Note: It's a really simple point, but don't be confused by the ' www.mysite.com/ ' replace 'mysite.com' with your site's URL, AND ‘template_directory_name’ with the name of the template directory for example, here it would be www.rockettheme.com/ template_directory_name

The installation screen will appear.

Screen 1:
      Choose language

Screen 2:
      Pre-installation Check

Screen 3:
      License

Screen 4:
      You’ll need the following info to make the database connection with Joomla:
      Host Name
      Username (for the database you’ve created)
      Password (for the database you’ve created)
      Database Name (for the database you’ve created)

Screen 5:
      You can skip this and use an FTP client or add the info later if you don’t have the proper details at this point.

Please note that it’s a good idea to have the proper info, now or later, as this can help you avoid troubles with ‘params.ini is unwriteable later on.

Screen6:
      Site Name: This will appear in the title bar of your browser.
      Your e-mail: the address you want to use to receive mail from the site
      Password: this is for the admin login for Joomla, it can be different than the DB password.

Install Sample Data?
      Install the Sample Data! If you don’t want to install the sample data, you should stop here!! And follow the next set of guidelines.

JEM wrote:
      If you want a clean install to work with (which is may be easier to work with than editing / deleting content) do the following:

Go here and DL the latest Rocket Launcher version: code.google.com/p/gantry-framewo ... loads/list

Do a clean install and do not install the Sample Data. The Sample Data in this RL version is the Joomla core Sample Data and will not corrupt the install if not installed as it does not contain any RT components. So you will not wind up with any empty RT component / module / plugin folders to deal with later.

Go to the download section for your template and download the standalone version and the extensions for your template.

Install them as you would any other extensions.

Alternately, you can do a stock install of Joomla from joomla.org without the Sample Data, but you will have to go through one extra step of installing the Gantry framework (from the link above) or use the bundle package from template’s download section, along with installing the extensions.

Screen 7:
      You’ll be prompted to delete or rename the installation directory.

Before you can view the site or login as administrator, you’ll need to browse to the directory in your FTP client or CP and do so.

Ben's instructions for DB & CP:

www.rockettheme.com/forum/index.php?f=60..._v=viewtopic#p315019

Not to mention the Quick Links link on the sub menu at the top of the site...

With all of these references and a Joomla compatible host (along with basic knowledge of Joomla and working with a CP) it should be as simple as 1,2,3.

But if you get hung up along the way, we'll try to get you sorted!

[Top tip! upload the zipped RL to you host and extract it to the proper directory / folder]
    • Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Kat05.
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • JeanWTPUSA
    • Management Consultant

• I finally was able to get the Rocketlauncher for the Syndicate Template to work in my sub-directory which I labeled "Syndicate."

I am thinking that maybe there was a corrupt file or something else wrong with the orgininal download, so I deleted the old Rocketlauncher Syndicate file and replaced it with the newest RocketLauncher Syndicate. I downloaded into a folder on my desktop, then uploaded it via FTP and I was able to configure Joomla via the administrator's panel.

Tips for newbies: If you place a Rocketlauncher Template a sub-directory, make sure to use that sub-directory's name to access your Joomla Administrator's area.

For example: www.mysite.com/syndicate/administrator .
      You must also create a database for that sub-directory Joomla install. In MySQL in the CPanel, I gave my database the name of the template Database = mysite_syndicate

My next endeavor is to install Joomla via Fantastico directly into the root and then download the Syndicate Bundle, so I have a "blank" Syndicate template and all the extensions that come with the DEMO template in my ROOT. Then, I will have a fully functioning Syndicate Demo template in my sub-directory, which I can use it as a quick reference when designing my site on a "blank" Syndicate Template.

Thanks for your help everyone! I might even be brave enough now to install Joomla in the Root without using Fantastico. :D
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• :arrowu:

If you plan to use Fantastico for the second install, I suggest skipping the install of the sample data as the content / template positions will not match... and in the end you will end up deleting most of it anyway.
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • JeanWTPUSA
    • Management Consultant

• Thanks JEM, I am going to skip Fantasico and just upload a new clean copy of Joomla along with some of the great RT Templates. I read on some of the Joomla forums that updating Joomla via Fantastico could cause problems, so I don't want to risk it. As for the Sample data, I really don't care if the Sample data is in the standard Joomla templates, but you're right, i will probably end up deleting the content, but for now, I think just to get acclimated to the Joomla features, it might be a good idea to install the sample data.

I do have a few other questions,

1. I upload K2, do I have to upload it to the Root for the main Joomla 1.5 install AND, do I also have to upload it to all of the sub-directories I have created for each of the Rocketlauncher templates.

2. Is it correct to assume that Any Module, Plugin or Extension I want to use for all of my templates has to be uploaded to the ROOT and to the Rocketlauncher Templates I have in sub-directories?

3. What is your experience with JCEditor. Do you know if it conflicts with any components in the Rocketheme Templates? It looks like a nice editor.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds