Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry Framework - Part 2

• MindTooth
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Gantry Framework - Part 2

Posted 14 years 5 months ago
    • Is this self-written, or using Nooku? If possible? I don't know what I am talking about though ;)
      Great work so far :D

Birger :)
    • joev
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Andy Miller wrote:
      The framework actually has all the bits built in to handle mobility pretty well if you chose to do so. I think actually the better solution is to have a plugin that actually provides a different template entirely for specific iphone or other mobile users. This is something we plan to address more in the future.

Thanks Andy. By the way, how does this new framework affect previous templates? For example, does the new framework have features that could be applied to previous templates or is it for new templates only? (I would prefer to to wait for the Dec template using the new framework before commiting to an older template.)
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• The template is tied very closely to the framework. There's no real gains trying to back-port the a previous template to this, although it should allow us to do more stuff in the future.
  • Re: Gantry Framework - Part 2

Posted 14 years 2 months ago
    • Hi i use an old Template that was build with no Gantry Framework,

My question is, Can one install a Gantry Framework on an old Rockettheme Template without having change the whole website's configurations ?
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Posted 14 years 2 months ago
    • akaandrew wrote:
      Hi i use an old Template that was build with no Gantry Framework,

My question is, Can one install a Gantry Framework on an old Rockettheme Template without having change the whole website's configurations ?

Yes you can apply one of the new templates to yout J1.5 site, but as templates vary, you will have to reorganize your content ot match the new module positions / layout.

You'll also have to install any extensions that the template uses if they are not already installed.

Your best best is not to do this live... Create a back up of your site and install in on your localhost or in a subdirectory of your site, develop it there, and when you're done, move it to the root and make it the live site.

You can do so with Akeeba, formerly JoomlaPack:

www.akeebabackup.com/index.html

An old post, but it may give you some insight:

Nanci wrote:
      When you change from one template to another everything is not going to preview perfectly, nor is it assigned by any form of automation. It can't be.

Not all modules and positions you have used in one template are necessarily named the same or positioned the same from that template to another. The same goes for the styling.

As an example; There is no way for Joomla! to know that you want your "Breadcrumbs" to be assigned to the new Akiraka Breadcrumbs-Bottom module position without you assigning the Breadcrumbs to that position. Unless of course, the position you had them assigned to before was named the same.

To begin you should open EXTENSIONS > TEMPLATE manager and assign any needed parameters within your new template.

Next I would open each module and assign the new positions within your new template accordingly.

You will need to do the same with your articles and any and all module suffixes you have assigned previously.

Changes and or new assignments may also be needed in your menu structure.

Module Variations: The same applies here. The module variation suffixes for Akiraka are not named or positioned the same as modules and module variations in Hivemind.

It sounds worse than it is. I've done this before... it just takes a bit of organizing and a little time.

The CHOICE of how you do this and if you do this is yours. If you have a smaller site with little content it may be quicker and more efficient to start fresh. Backup your data first and make some screen shots of how you had it before so you won't have to go completely go by memory.

Though I am sure this is not what you wanted to hear, I do hope this at least helps you to get started and helps you understand what is going on. :o
    • Thanks,
      jim

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds