Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED How to work on 2nd template on Live site?

• JoomGO
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Media Developer

SOLVED How to work on 2nd template on Live site?

Posted 14 years 6 months ago
    • What's the best way to work on a new design for a live site when going from one template to another?

I was thinking of taking a copy of the database and install a new copy of Joomla on the server to work on the new site. But what about in a few days when I'm ready to implement the new template and database, how do I merge the live database and the development database since the live site has a community and forums?
    • Website Design & Management
      This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | http://www.joomgo.com
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: SOLVED How to work on 2nd template on Live site?

• Use JoomlaPack.

Back up your live site.

Install the backup on your localhost or in a sub directory or sub domain of your site.

Work on the copy of the site until you are satisfied you're ready to go live.

Back up the copy of the site.

Delete the old site - be sure to make one final back up before you do this!

Install the new site.
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • JoomGO
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Media Developer

• That is what I always do but this site is an online community that uses jomsocial and Kunena.

Is there an easy way to take the new database and merge it into the existing database for the live site?

The way you said to do it is exactly how I always do my static sites, but this is a little different because it's an online community. Best option to just turn the site off over night and take the few hours it'll take to switch everything over to the new template?
      This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | http://www.joomgo.com
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• ...but this is a little different because it's an online community. Best option to just turn the site off over night and take the few hours it'll take to switch everything over to the new template?

I imagine you are using the same DB for Joomla, Jomsocial, and Kunena.

If so, for that, while you are waiting for a response here, you should ask on joomla.org.
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • JoomGO
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Web Media Developer

• Yes, all the same DB and I will make a thread over there too. Thank you for the quick responses, much appreciate!
    • Cpointcc
    • Elite Rocketeer

Posted 8 years 2 months ago
    • This is the same dilemma I am having. My main concern with themeing on the development server is the live site is still getting updated.
      How can I extract just the template portion of the files to upload onto the live site?

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds