Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

How Do We Add A Favicon

How Do We Add A Favicon

Posted 15 years 8 months ago
    • Trying to figure out how to add a favicon to this template. I have uploaded the image to all image directories .. Not luck.
    • Yves
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: How Do We Add A Favicon

• In some browsers, you might not see immediately the new favicon.

Press Ctrl+Shift+R in Firefox, or Ctrl+F5 in IE.

It if doesn't work, delete first all favicons before uploading yours.
    • The following users have thanked you: Dimitris

• Yves
  • Re: How Do We Add A Favicon

• Hi,

Unless you have changed the default path your favicon should be uploaded into your template's images folder as per line 9 of rt_head_includes.php.

As Yves says, it is sometimes very difficult to get IE to pick the new favicon up so your best bet is to try in FF first to make sure it's being picked up at all. If it is then what I generally do is delete any existing favicons from the images folder, delete any bookmarks I have to the site, empty my cache and then re-bookmark. Even then it can take a while before IE recognises the new favicon. As long as it displays in FF I'm happy that visitors will see it even if my IE won't.

A good online resource for creating favicons can be found at http://www.graphicsguru.com/favicon.php .

Hope this helps.
    • LiEs
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• I think there is a free joomla extension for adding favicons. I haven't tried it yet.
    • Testing123
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Music Education

• LiEs wrote:
      I think there is a free joomla extension for adding favicons. I haven't tried it yet.

I believe you are referring to Phoca Favicon which can be found here:

BROKEN LINK REMOVED

Like you, I have not tried it.

HTH...
    • Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Kat05.
    • The following users have thanked you: Michelle Diamond

• J!eremy
    • Elite Rocketeer

Posted 15 years 7 months ago
    • I guess it just takes actually closing the browser as I have cleared the cache 5 times and it still doesn't come up. But when I use Safari, it comes right up. BTW, to clear the cache in FF on a mac simply press F5. Or you can select Tools>Clear Private Data then simply select cache's check box and press "Clear Private Data Now".

Posted 15 years 3 months ago
    • I downloaded Phoca Favicon (which is a really quick and easy component).

Clicked Create Favicon
      Choose Template (which is rt_chromatophore for Joomla 1.5)
      I choose the image I uploaded
      And Clicked Create and that's it.

So, I went to preview my site http://www.TheLandman.net using the Firefox browser. And it still had the Rocket Theme favicon. So, I refreshed the page. It auto-loaded the Rocket Theme Favicon and show My Favicon for a split second, then ended up having the Rocket Theme Favicon. I refreshed a couple time, plus used different computer and still the the same result. What would be the best way to fix the problem?

• hi,

in your site thelandman.net
      i viewed the source and found:
      <link href="/templates/rt_chromatophore_j15/favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" />
      <script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/mootools.js"></script>
      <script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/caption.js"></script>
      <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/templates/rt_chromatophore_j15/images/favicon.ico" />

remove one of the line in that pointing to the favicon
    • prim
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Place the favicon.ico in the Joomla root directory and add these lines to rt_head_includes.php (or index.php if you use an old template):

<link href="/favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" />
      <link rel="shortcut icon" href=" yoursite.com/favicon.ico " type="image/x-icon" />

If you have favicons located elsewhere, delete them.

Still doesn't show up? Clear cache and delete all temporary files and restart your browser.

If this doesn't work in IE then please check that the favicon is a valid Windows icon.
    • Please reply with a direct link to the issue & create a new thread for each new issue.

A template is only as good as the content that goes into it ;) - DanG

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds