Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

CloudFlare - huge difference in caching performance between WP and J!

• CloudFlare - huge difference in caching performance between WP and J!

Posted 7 years 1 week ago
    • Hey folks.

I'm primarily a Joomla dev. We host our client sites via Rackspace dedicated server. CloudFlare is a big part of our service stack. We do host some largish Wordpress sites that get decent volumne.

One thing that I have noted over time is that with CloudFlare Cache performance (how much bandwidth is served via cache) WordPress does significatly better than Joomla.

Here is an example:
      Wordpress Site: 192 GB Total Band., 164 GB Cached, 28 GB Uncached
      Joomla Site: 29 GB Total Band., 7 GB Cached, 22 GB Uncached

The CF settings for both sites are similar. I use page rules for both sites. Caching level is "standard" for both.

I did not develop the WP site in question, so I'm not intimate with all it's setting but it's not running Varnish or anything like that.

Do you folks see similar CF caching results with Joomla? What else am I missing?
    • Jack Hughes
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: CloudFlare - huge difference in caching performance between WP and J!

Posted 7 years 1 week ago
    • My best guess is that CF just caches WordPress sites better because they've put more time into the nuances of WordPress since it's a more widely used platform. By your own numbers a significant larger portion of your WP site is being cached compared to Joomla ~ 25% compared to 85%

Joomla has it's own built-in cache whereas WordPress does not... though there are many 3rd party plugins for WordPress that do an excellent job. I would hope/assume CF is serving the cached files... but you'd need to dig into that... if not, perhaps turning off the caching in Joomla would actually help.

I like JCH Optimize for local caching on Joomla and WordPress Fastest Cache for the same on WP
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds