Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Problems with spam emails! Anyone any good ideas?

• safeworld4women
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Website designer and Administrator

SOLVED Problems with spam emails! Anyone any good ideas?

Posted 9 years 2 months ago
    • Hi
      This isn't related to Rocket Theme - excpet that we use Rocket Theme for our templates and some extensions.
      Over the last 6 months our spam emails have increased horrendously on our Contact Form.
      We use a component for our forms - RS Events pro.
      Despite following very bit of advice I can find - using latest Captcha techniques - and Askimet
      I cannot solve the issue with these bots.
      I was wondering if any 'expert' out there has any suggestions or solutions!

:)

Best

Andrew
    • My wife and I design, build and maintain websites - for non-profit organisations, therapists, artists, local community groups and small businesses.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED Problems with spam emails! Anyone any good ideas?

• Provided you have a captcha on the form that should stop the bots. However, are the email actually coming from your forms or are they direct to the email address? If you email addresses have already been harvested by the bots then it's already too late - so you just need to get yourself a good spam checker for your email system.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • safeworld4women
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Thanks Mark
      Its a good question because on the form I am using I have some required fields and the spam emails haven't been filling in those fields.
      I just presumed they were coming from that form.
      Will investigate deeper
      Really appreciate you replying

Andrew
    • My wife and I design, build and maintain websites - for non-profit organisations, therapists, artists, local community groups and small businesses.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• no problem.

I suspect then that you sites have been scraped or the email address scraped from the domain name registration? Once they have the email address there's no stopping them i'm afraid. Do make sure that all your sites have the joomla email cloaking plugin enabled too - it deliberately obfuscates plain text email addresses from bots.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • safeworld4women
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Hi Mark
      Thanks to your input I think I have solved the problem!
      Basically I deleted the email address that was being used on the form and set a new one up!
      Touch wood - no spam!

Best

Andrew
    • Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by safeworld4women.

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds