Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

• Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

Posted 12 years 9 months ago
    • Hello

What do you guys do for clients in terms of their web hosting (those who have none at all). I usually get them to sign up to my hosting company and I upload to that.

Is this the best way to do it, am I missing out on re seller opportunities etc.

I am currently a mature student doing a degree and so I build sites to help pay my bills. It no big licks concern.

Thanks
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

Re: Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

• You might want to check to see if your host has reseller accounts, if not there are many that do offer that service. Depending on the host, you might find plans that may not be too much more than what you currently pay for your personal hosting. If you factor in your own site(s), you probably only need a client or two to break even on a years worth of service - get a few more and your personal sites are basically hosted for free and everything else is profit.

Other advantages are you can set up as many development areas as you like for projects or demos. In my experience it's also way easier to set up new sites since I control everything. It also offers you a layer of security against clients that try to get out of paying for your work, you have an off switch, a very motivating deterrent.

Google "hosting reseller" - you'll find many, many options. I think it's a great thing for a web professional to have, and you can find affordable options.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
  • Re: Your clients - What do you do about webhosting?

• Thanks for your reply cliff

My hosting company is beginning to wind down and so i'm on the lookout for a new company, any recomendations ?
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

• There are a lot out there to choose from, I use JustHost. It's shared hosting, very affordable, nothing too special about it. I use their most affordable reseller option to host 5 of my own sites, multiple development areas, and about 15 client sites - and I'm not even close to going over my limits. I personally haven't had any problems and it works fine for most basic sites. That's just my experience, I would encourage you to take a look at many options before making a decision. Good luck.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Many of us like HostGator...
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • fewleh
    • Hero Rocketeer

• JEM, sorry to jump in, but I currently pay quite a lot for hosting.

Tight limits, and only up to a max of 30 sites, although, 20 sites is really the maximum with it's stringent limits.

The major plus is, it's stupidly fast at loading, adn the support is amazing.

It's about £270 a year, I think from memory. Hostgator, would be about £180 a year for the reseller package..and I would have bigger limits...! However, is hostgator fast? I've used ipage, godaddy, uswebhost and various other companies, looking for a cheap US hosting account for a few sites I wanted to do well in google.com, but they were all totally un-usable, as they were sooo slow. If hostgator is quick, I'd be tempted to move. Is it hosted in the UK or US? Or can you choose? I'd need the reseller account to be located in the UK
    • www.cityinsurance.co.uk

• Hi Fewleh

I have been looking at Hostgator after Jems suggestion, It isnt based in the UK, it's US and another country.

All the reviews about Hostgator in terms of service, uptimes etc are glowing. It isnt the cheapest out there, but with the lads in this forum using them, shouldnt be too many problems.

Google Hostgator reviews yourself for more info

• I recently found a wonderful hosting company by the name of clook based in the UK and US. I had some issues with my previous hosts and spent a few hours looking for a hosting company that I felt best suited my needs. It was only by chance that I found them,they have never advertised despite being in existence for over 8 years. I had a chat with one of the directors via their live chat which seems to be on 24/7 and signed up for their cheapest package to try them out on a first month free promotion which is still running. After a days extensive testing I was no longer experiencing the issues with some Joomla sites that I had been with the other hosting company and decided to sign up for one of their reseller packages. The service they provide is incredibly fast and I have now moved all of my sites under their roof,they even transferred them for me free of charge. There is also a wonderfully friendly and helpful community forums,I can't recommend them highly enough and have been nothing but impressed since making the switch. There are cheaper hosts out there but you get what you pay for and you have nothing to lose by chatting to there very knowledgeable staff via their live chat and asking any questions you may have. :D
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Julian Campbell wrote:
      Hi Fewleh

I have been looking at Hostgator after Jems suggestion, It isn't based in the UK, it's US and another country.

I have a couple of sites hosted with them here in Japan.

Even though they are in the States, my clients have never once complained about speed, and they are all shared hosting accounts...
    • Thanks,
      jim

• I finally gave up on places like HostGator, Bluehost, Dreamhost, etc.

I have setup my own dedicated server and a licensed copy of Plesk 10 and WHMCS. Now I am my own HostGator. If any of yall are interested, I am more than willing to host ya.
    • Thank you,
      Jason

Server #1: 4-Cores @ 2.3Ghz | 8GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.3-65.el5 | mySQL: 5.5.23 | PHP: 5.3.10
      Server #2: 8-Cores @ 2.5Ghz | 16GB RAM | Plesk Control Panel v11.0.9 | Apache/2.2.15-15.el6 | mySQL: 5.5.25 | PHP: 5.4.4

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds