Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla Vs Wordpress

• Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

Posted 11 years 3 months ago
    • I like how Joomla includes its set of options and makes it available to the user on the backend in contrast to Worpress which seems to have great core capabilities, but most is left to the developers of extensions and themes to make available to the end users.

I moved to Wordpress cause I wanted some features that Joomla does not have and some of its most powerful components don't do well enough or have annoying configurations and side-effects, and yet I now use more plugins than I ever used with Joomla, much more...

But in the end (almost ?) everything one can do in Joomla is doable in Wordpress too with the help of a few plugins, while sporting some of its own little gems as well....
      ...and while I am very unknowledgeable about developing, looking around the code, Wordpress seems easier to get to grips with

So it all boils down to the developer's preferences, his/her area of specialty. With either platform he/she will do what needs to be done.

Origins of each platform and the path to the present do matter and account for users' preferences but I don't think it is a matter of clear/self-evident choice.

Of course professional developers will need to learn how to handle both and adapt to the wishes of their employers, but I think that if one gets comfortable with one of the two, he/she will pretty much be able to do what can be done with the other platform as well.

Somehow I have come to think that Wordpress users may be finding it easier to do so.
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Panacea v1.6.6 - www.eks-ik.eu
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5
    • xtianus
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

• I disagree. Lol I find it a little incredulous for all the people saying they went from joomla to word press and find it much better or easier or whatever. Really? You mean to tell me you were successfully making joomla sites and then switched to WordPress? Wow that's amazing. But hard to believe. I've used wordpress and dealt with it and to me it just seemed like a toy with tons and tons of plugins. When I went to joomla it was massively harder to learn nut so much more customizable and extensible. Now, im not saying WP isn't but to me joomla is more so to me. Also to merge modules and extensions are far more advanced in some cases for joomla. Not to say WP doesn't have their owngems I just feel joomla has mo professional quality apps
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

• I think what it boils down to is using the right tool for the job. Asking which is better is a lot like asking if a fork is better than a spoon. You use both to eat, but what's on the table will determine which one you should use.

Both have advantages and disadvantages, the right choice depends on the website you are building, your preferences and your clients preferences. Other than, go with what you know, what works best for you always will be the best choice for you.
    • The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.
    • Cliff Pfeifer
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Website Developer

Posted 11 years 2 months ago
    • May I ask the Wordpress users to give me an average of

1) How many active plugins they have
      2) An average of DB Queries they get (mostly for posts)
      3) The load impact of plugins on the site?
      4) Is the site on shared / dedicated / vps ?

I have been using the plugin P3 Plugin Profile to get an estimate. I get some extreme spikes on queries on posts' pages and would like to have an idea of what is the general average.

I have also been continuously troubled by the caching plugins...
      - W3 Total Cache
      is great for making your site adhere to as many good practices as possible. Bad thing is it does so sacrificing load time, especially for first time (no-cache) visits.
      Makes one really think how crappy and useless all those lengthy tutorials can be, at least if you haven't got a dedicated server.

- WP Super Cache:
      Gives me bad time for first byte, but actually loads both cached and non-cached pages faster than W3 Total Cache.
      Not as great results in Yslow but good

- Hyper Cache
      The simpler of the bunch is and feels quite faster than both of the above. Better first byte times than WP Super Cache, almost as good at first byte but stands out on full page load times; scores a tad better on yslow than W3TC. All score the same in PageSpeed (95pts)
      It's also the only one which does not use htaccess to serve the files....supposedly this is a defect, but whatever, it's not confirmed in practice and on shared hosting.

Which one do you use, on what hosting?

Thanks
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5

Posted 9 years 8 months ago
    • Hey, it's been a while...and wow, the Kunena forum does look great. What happened to that other Joomla forum component Rockettheme had even supported at some point?

Here is my question.

I want to setup some sort of an ebook-store to my Joomla site...more a "paid downloads" kind of thing...the volume of ebooks would be small; we are not talking about an eshop, but offering some academic/research papers as well as some books from limited partners in digital format (pdf, epub) for the financial support of a cultural institution.

Some thoughts:
      1) I want to be able to organize ebooks by author...adding some other sorting criteria, such as category or tagging would be a plus but not primary concern.
      2) It would be a plus if it featured some predefined structure/fields for book/paper information that would make it look more "professional"
      3) I want it to have some sort of "security" features, such as
      3.a) hiding the exact download/folder location / generating masked links (is this the proper terminology?)
      3.b) being able to set a "maximum downloads" for each link generated OR time expiration for links
      4) I don't think I need a cart , but perhaps the ability to set prices for purchases of a set (number) of articles (so that purchasing a larger set would come out cheaper than purchasing individually)
      5) I don't need buyers to register, but be able to do so as part of the process, if they want to.
      6) I am mostly interested about functionality and aesthetic result.
      7) For the moment I don't think I need features like subscriptions (for general access), or paid access to Joomla articles or site sections.
      8) Only interested in Paypal.
      9) If it features an automatic "invoice" feature it would be a plus, but of course we are not talking about a proper eshop. Not sure if the Paypal receipt is (legally) enough for such purposes, will inquire into it.

Priority is stability/compatibility and dependability, ease of use (for both buyer and seller)

I have a few contestants for Joomla , but I wouldn't consider it totally out the question to set up a separate site based on Wordpress, if there is a really great plugin out there...Wordpress does sometime feature some really great plugins, true gems, which are also free.

Price is another thing...commercial extensions/plugins are not excluded, but if free or low cost (concomitant to the needs) would be even better.

Any ideas?
    • Last Edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Cretan Studies Association.
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5
    • Kathy Rose
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Freelance web development and design

• Hi there, Cretan Studies! Nice to see you!

Have you looked at WooCommerce (Wordpress)? I just set up a small store site for my husband's hobby business and was extremely impressed with it. I think it does the things you mentioned, and it's free. It's really impressive.

The other shopping cart I'm familiar with it is for Joomla, and that's Mijoshop. I don't think it's free--I think you pay support subscription. It's really powerful and also probably does all the stuff you want. I found the learning curve was a little steeper for it than for WooCommerce (and I got my money's worth out of that support subscription!), but I would use either of them again in future projects. For a small project though, I would lean toward WooCommerce.

Good luck with your project!
    • The following users have thanked you: Cretan Studies Association

• Kathy
      KT Web Design
      developing Joomla websites in the sweet, sunny South

• Kathy Rose wrote:
      Hi there, Cretan Studies! Nice to see you!

Have you looked at WooCommerce (Wordpress)? I just set up a small store site for my husband's hobby business and was extremely impressed with it. I think it does the things you mentioned, and it's free. It's really impressive.

The other shopping cart I'm familiar with it is for Joomla, and that's Mijoshop. I don't think it's free--I think you pay support subscription. It's really powerful and also probably does all the stuff you want. I found the learning curve was a little steeper for it than for WooCommerce (and I got my money's worth out of that support subscription!), but I would use either of them again in future projects. For a small project though, I would lean toward WooCommerce.

Good luck with your project!

Thank you Kathy, I tried WooCommerce and it fitted the bill just fine. I would have liked it even more if it supported the new "Express Checkout" feature of Paypal, allowing customers to make purchases without ever leaving your site, but still it is very clean and configurable.

I had some trouble at first because the geniuses who translated the plugin into Greek actually also translated the "slugs" themselves, which lead to all sorts of trouble, broken links, weird redirects etc.

Wordpress is actually very easy to get up and running, I had the basic and necessary settings for the site and the plugin completed in 20 minutes (including installation time).
      Clearly defined and comprehensible settings, properly structured, practically no learning curve required...did not need to look into the documentation (the issue I faced was with the greek localization files, not with WooCommerce).

Woocommerce works and looks great on most themes (my personal favorites are Parabola, Nirvana) but if they are not made compatible specificallywith this plugin, the widgets one sets for the sidebar are not visible in catalogue/shop pages and some default widget (reporting categories, pages etc) show up instead, even if absent from the Widgets settings.
      Found a clean and fast compatible theme, Vantage, which works great, offers some basic options but is also easy to figure out in its style.css file.

By the way, the only really appealing extension I found for my project in JED - incorporating the 'Express Checkout' feature - was "SP Digital Goods"

Love how it allows "in-site purchases" (like buying apps in Google Playstore) and immediate access to downloads for the customer (no checking emails and stuff)

This image is hidden for guests.
      Please log in or register to see it.

But it costs 33 euros, which is not cheap and I had no way of testig prior to purchase, so Wordpress it is...But it would have been my pick for Joomla, surely, for selling 'digital goods"

So I would declare the project a success.
      I liked how after making a test purchase, I refunded the order from Paypal and the order status was automatically changed to reflect that in WooCommerce...
      Excellent!

Thanks again for the suggestion
    • You can call me George
      J2.5.8, Syndicate 1.6.5

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds