0 items Join Now

Voiceover - Menu - Devices

• JCGWATT
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Voiceover - Menu - Devices

Posted 9 years 4 months ago
    • Hi,
      I hope i am in the right forum...

I am legally blind and use voiceover on my iPhone. This means everything speaks to me when i scrol my finger around the page - if the site is built correctly.

I have built a Hadron based site and, when on the iPhone, the menu box in the top left does not read out to me, and even if i find it - it will not activate. However, if this menu box is activated by another person - not using voiceover - and then i turn voicover back on, i can activate any of the menu items and they read fine.

obviously, once i get to the main page i need to go through it all again - not the best experience for me or other people with a print disability.

Question
      1. is this because the menu is wrapped in 'Div' rather than 'Nav' tags?
      2. How can i fix this?
      3. if i can't fix it, can i pay someone to?

Notes
      To activate voiceover on any IOS device -
      1. go to general settings;
      2. go to accessibility;
      3. go to voiceover and switch it on.

everything you now do will requirerequire you to locate and activate - meaning a double tap on each item you want to activate.

Only about 5 million people globaly use this voiceover feature, and the android version is called 'talkback' - which does a simillar thing.

happy to skype at user: jcgwatt.com
  • Re: Voiceover - Menu - Devices

• JCGWATT
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: Voiceover - Menu - Devices

• Thanks for the feedback.

I understand RT is not interested in allowing people with a disability to use their products or websites, but i like the styling RT uses. There are a lot of features that i don't use because they are not W3C compliant, but was hoping i could at least use the menu system.

As previously noted, accessibility is not a feature - it is a standard. That said, if anyone at RT would be interested in fixing this problem i would be willing to pay.

regards,
      Jason
  • Re: Voiceover - Menu - Devices

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds