Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

How a UK Charity was saved by Rocket Theme!

• safeworld4women
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Website designer and Administrator

How a UK Charity was saved by Rocket Theme!

Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
    • The story of this website.
      tme.org.uk/

I give some of my time to help non-profit organisations.
      Early in 2016 I found out that TME, one of our non-profit partners had experienced a wipe-out on their site when their hosting company had a problem.
      They thought they had backups - but the reality was different, sadly.
      So I offered to help the charity recover their website.
      The site was in WordPress which at the time I had no experience of - I was using Joomla.
      But RT was developing in WordPress.
      And I felt I had enough trust in RT to see what I could do to slowly rebuild the site.

First I used the charity's existing theme but added Rok Sprocket to help present the latest news.
      We managed to rebuild the website so it worked.
      But I was really nervous.

The theme they were using was 'free' and to be honest had zilch support.
      So, early this year I decided to convert the whole site to the Protean Wordpress theme.
      One of the issues was that previously the charity had 3 subdomains - each with its own Wordpress install.
      So we worked on bringing these subdomains together as much as possible.

What was important was to be able to create seperate options for different sections on the website.

For instance the charity provides educational software, for free on DVDs.
      Which are used in over 30 countries.
      People can order these DVDs for free - however the process needs to have a shopping cart systen to make this possible.
      WooCommerce was what was being used - so we used RT's integration of the WooCommerce plugin to adapt it to our needs.
      http://tme.org.uk/dvds/

On top of this - the charity also offers their software to be viewed online - or downloaded.
      So we needed to create different pages / outlines for this section.
      http://tme.org.uk/online-lessons/
      We also incorparated a membership systen into these outlines.

Altogether we are using 7 different outlines to control the whole process! I have no idea how we could have achived this using a different theme!

http://tme.org.uk/

Feedback welcome

Please note: I have no affiliate relationship with Rocket Theme. I pay my annual fees like everyone else
    • Last Edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by safeworld4women.
    • The following users have thanked you: David Goode, Djamil Legato, Kat05, Henning, MrT

• My wife and I design, build and maintain websites - for non-profit organisations, therapists, artists, local community groups and small businesses.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: How a UK Charity was saved by Rocket Theme!

• Thank you very much for sharing your experience. The site looks great! well done!

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • safeworld4women
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Website designer and Administrator

Re: How a UK Charity was saved by Rocket Theme!

• Thanks Mark
      And also thanks to everyone at RT who helped answer questions along the way.

Andrew
    • My wife and I design, build and maintain websites - for non-profit organisations, therapists, artists, local community groups and small businesses.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds