Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Photographer web site using Osmosis

• GenoVive
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Re: Photographer web site using Osmosis

Posted 9 years 7 months ago
    • Hello, I'm trying to build a site with this template, but when I replace the header background picture and install it on Joomla, i'm receiving the warnings: JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file

JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file

Unable to detect manifest file

I didn't change anything accept than replacing the picture.
      What should I do?
      thank you
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Clear your BROWSER and SERVER cache and try again.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • GenoVive
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Hi, I cleared the cache you suggested, but i'm still receiving the same warning.
      I had no problem when I installed it as the way it was, but was not able to install after I changed the background picture in headersurround folder.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• GenoVive - I've just realised this is another members topic and that you do not have a current membership - our priority is to answer questions from members who have an active subcription.

Please post your question again in the Osmosis forum and post a url to your site and we will be happy to assist you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Rae French
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • IT Consultant

Posted 9 years 6 months ago
    • Nice site. Two suggestions:

1. The logo needs work. It is too simple and doesn't portray the company image. A couple things to keep in mind with the company name/domain in the logo is that the "i" could be seen as an "l" with that font and the dot will be overlooked. To counteract this, use a font that will distinctly differentiate those.

2. The header image on the inside pages catches the top of the model's head. To fix this, adjust your image so that there is more background above the model. That way there is a only background on the inside page headers. Contact me if you need more clarification on this.
    • Best wishes,
      Rae
    • Matt Kyle
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• Excellent implimentation of Osmosis, the best sidepanel menu setup I've seen.

The two points above were two I was going to make, although the logo I don't see much of an issue with (on the home page that is) as the theme does not allow for a ellaborte logo and looks overwhelming if you do so, but I do believe it needs a little more identity.

I do have a couple of suggestions however:

1) The logo on a smartphone is moved the lefthand side and is hidden by the phot menu, rather than being centered. I found the quickest way to fix this is by replacing the logo.png in the theme folder and setting the logo style as "Osmosis Template" rather than customer. You'll see it centralises it for you (Anyone with any other ways to fix this let me know as I would like to know for my site also ha!)

2)The image on the header and the images on top of the header are a bit overwhelming. I'd suggest either adding a gradient to the background image, or adding some formating the images on top (Rounded corners or subtle frame) to make it stand out over the header and look less busy.

If you want a hand with any of this, let me know.

Thanks,
      Matt
  • Re: Photographer web site using Osmosis

• I agree with Matt on his second point. I think some formatting to the showcase images such as rounded corners / drop shadows / frames / gradient would make a world of difference.
    • xur82
    • Rocketeer

Posted 9 years 4 months ago
    • I'd like to thank everyone for their excellent suggestions for the look of the site, logo, (and position on smartphones) pic's etc..

If you have another look you'll see I found some time to take a different approach, with a slider banner showing my work and services, in a uniform way, de-cluttering that top section, moving the single showcase images down the page. Removing the background girl on the couch image and first two 'model' images.. Making the appearance more towards commercial and family photography. I think there's a better balance and it works on phones and tablets real nice too.

It's always your own sites that are last on the list when you're self-employed and busy making a living..

cheers!
    • Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Kat05.

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds