Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Installing XAMMP

• JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Installing XAMMP

Posted 14 years 10 months ago
    • Installing XAMMP

You've probably heard moderators or other users mention 'localhost' on 'on my local install'.

Wondering about setting up Joomla sites on your computer for testing and development?

Try XAMMP.

One of our members posted this video and it's what got me started.

This video will get you up and running in about 20 minutes.

www.veoh.com/videos/v1802750A7Mnpe7z

Note: the video *should* get you up and running in 20 minutes.

In my case, once installed I couldn't access the first screen.

I uninstalled and reinstall about a dozen times.

Long story short, you may have some software that is using ports XAMPP needs to function, MSN, Skype, ect.

Along with SP3 firewall settings, virus software etc, you may run into problems.

Finally, after almost giving up, I installed it in Safe Mode without networking, XAMPP got all the ports it wanted and the install went off without a hitch.

For Mac users, try MAMP. :D
    • Thanks,
      jim
  • Re: Installing XAMMP

Posted 14 years 10 months ago
    • Wow.. great stuff!!! I had truble as well witrh the vid because i am in Bali and got

"Veoh is no longer available in INDONESIA. If you are not in INDONESIA or think you have received this message in error, please go to veoh.com and report the issue." on my screen. However i found an awesome replacement
      video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4139947037335336125
      which explains in details what to do for the port issue and shows how to install joomla on it.

I am currently downloading my site with filezilla and I hope to be able to work on it off line as well with this. The one thing i am scared of is actually messing up the site which is live once i upload the offline edited version.
      Do you think its a case of just uploading the folder back to the host as they are or will i need to add an installation folder to reconfigure with the server every time i update?
      thx jem love your stuff!!
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Posted 14 years 9 months ago
    • Great the Joomlapack with XAMPP as worked great!! Site is sitting locally perfectly even when not connected. And as far as i can see it will be just as simple to update it live!
      Thx guys

Posted 13 years 9 months ago
    • Thanks for the heads up on XAMPP. I installed it on my PC with the Dominion Rocket Launcher in under 10 minutes. This opens a whole new world of development opportunities for me.
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Installing XAMMP

• I am not using those to my knowledge but I am sure at some point I will and I will wonder why in the heck it's not working. Hope I can remember this... :P

Posted 13 years 6 months ago
    • I would love to have a local install for development and testing purposes! Does anyone know how well this would work on Linux / Ubuntu? I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 (I try to NEVER use any Microsoft product) has anyone had success with XAMPP on Linux?
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Installing XAMMP

Posted 13 years 6 months ago
    • quantumottle wrote:
      I would love to have a local install for development and testing purposes! Does anyone know how well this would work on Linux / Ubuntu? I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 (I try to NEVER use any Microsoft product) has anyone had success with XAMPP on Linux?

I've never use it bu there is a Linux version.

www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
    • Thanks,
      jim

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds