Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Hmm...I wonder what the RocketTheme team has been up to?

• oceano
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Hmm...I wonder what the RocketTheme team has been up to?

Posted 7 years 1 month ago
    • Ryan M Pierson wrote:
      JMDonald wrote:

To others' points:

Is this theme the theme for everyone? No. But it was one that was frequently requested.

We would absolutely appreciate it if any of the folks that don't like this theme would offer suggestions of their own for future themes. Provide ideas, design schemes or features they want to see in a future theme. We can work towards that.

I give many time whit no answer, some many others.

My friend is YOUR work not mine make design, YOU must have idea ecc or we pay for what?

We pay for joomla? free
      Gantry? Free
      Mod? free
      We pay for have a modern design and is your problem, sorry to say, be smart, professional, have new idea and give us brillant design as YOU give till 2 years ago.

Than don't insult in that way US.

Read the lot of post that say to you ABOUT DESIGN.

So tell me a big white letter that zoom are modern and professional design? Really? Just a video in the background is the most of tecnology you can inplement?

How many website you want I link that use that kind of things in the last 10 years?

BTW you the boss, you decide, you can tell me fu** you go buy in another place. 1 10 100 les custome don't change for you I know.

PS: for this website you never use one of this template...;)
    • oceano
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Re: Hmm...I wonder what the RocketTheme team has been up to?

• Im a veteran Designer and a fan of the works of rockettheme. I tell you here my suggestions to improve the website and the themes in general.

First of all, thanks to Andy Miller, Kat, David, MrT, Djamil, Matias Griesse, and other people for make Rocketheme and Gantry, and help us to learn the new tech implemented in all the themes released.

My principal suggestion to Rockettheme its simple: Focus.

- We can see many theme providers give multisite themes, but in my opinion, this practice break the focus . This themes try to be the best, but its wrong. For a Designer, the Focus its very important to show us designs with excelence, and to mantain a reasonable timeframes to release a theme to the public. A thematic theme, can be more easy to test in the testing phase. Focusing on Photography sector, you can make a spectacular Myriad theme.

- Focus on thematic themes. You can see Sienna , the theme who have focus in the hotel and reservation sector. Or Remnant , oriented to music sites. This is the key. Focus on thematic themes, and this themes will to be the best in that sector. Adding particles adapted to this sites, with special things.

- Focus on rockettheme and his legacy. Rockettheme have a legacy of epic templates, and many people stay here today and remember. You can remake this epic templates with the tech of Gantry 5. Can be a Metropolis 2 for Gantry 5? or the fantastic Vermilion 2 for Gantry 5? or Replicant 3 and his trasparent style for Gantry 5? can be Versatility 4?

- Focus on make things Simplix. In August of 2007, rockettheme released Simplix, and with this template a slogan: Relax, its Simplix. Now 10 years later in 2017, Gantry 5 added more options and functionality, but a system more complex to mantain and update. We need features in gantry not only to add more things. we need features to make things simply. For example we need a system to add particles to any template released with gantry 5. I see many problems in the forums, when the people like to add a particle in a template. Many particles dont read from the joomla news component, and we need to update continously the particle, to update the info. I know djamil and the team have this feature in the checklist, but Gantry 5 have more than 2 years, and this its a basic feature in my opinion. Mantain order in the particles with a repository with all, and localize them.

After this i tell you suggestions for a new template, oriented to the Games sector:

- Template with basic features of Gantry 5

- Calendar of Events (new particle?), with redundant events repeteable each year.

- Review System up to 10 items, to make best reviews. (new particle?) Example 1 - Example 2 - Example 3 - Example 4

- System to show people, teams, guilds and tournaments, for Sports and E-Sports sites (new particle?) Example 1 - Example 2

- All the particles of Gantry 5

For the Design aspect of the theme, Forget the Gigantic themes with very amount of space without information. And Focus in themes easy to navigate, with loading speed, and more than 1 dimension. Actually many designers are doing too much, of plain desings only with colors.

I think this is the way to push Rockettheme to the next level. FOCUS! ;)

PD: If you need me to test this gaming theme, contact with me, and i help you to improve.!
    • Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by mundogame.com.
    • The following users have thanked you: Hartmut Schwab, Hugo Avila, Steve Watkins, djSoft

• Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• Mundogame thank you so much for this feedback. We're discussing your thoughts internally. This might not appear next month (we're already in the process of finalizing the design) but we will certainly keep it on the board for upcoming designs.
    • The following users have thanked you: Hartmut Schwab, djSoft

• Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA

• Ryan M Pierson wrote:
      Mundogame thank you so much for this feedback. We're discussing your thoughts internally. This might not appear next month (we're already in the process of finalizing the design) but we will certainly keep it on the board for upcoming designs.

Please take his suggestions to heart.

I've been a member for a long time. For the last two years I have seriously considered leaving as RT has not had a great template in years. Great as in something that I can sell to my customers ( small buisnesses). I spend most of my time stripping templates down to something simple enough to maintain and conservitive enough to please my customers. 4 of my last 5 customers have had templetes from other template companies. That's 1 out of 5 for RT and I spend more for a membership here than anywhere else.

Also take a look at the standard colors your templates are offering for styles. Frankly they could be a lot better...

Thanks for your time
      Steve
    • Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Steve Watkins.
    • The following users have thanked you: djSoft

• radek
    • Elite Rocketeer

• And I only say again G5 is too complicated for common user. Please have look how to do it easily. For example new Pagebuilder from Joomlart (Joomshaper, Joomlashine, Themexpert,...). It is even very easy for Joomla beginner. You create your webpage in 5 minutes from frontend.
    • The following users have thanked you: Hartmut Schwab

• I tested several frameworks for Joomla. Gantry5 is the best. You need to improve documentation. Shorter descriptions. More videos. This will help a beginner.

Templates are very weak. They are very similar. Almost identical menu. Menu Mobile always identical. Give the chances of another graphic designer.

Once I had 2-3 weak templates for the year. Now, you spend 2 -3 good templates for the year. I was waiting for this template 7 weeks. Is very weak. Extending the time did not improve the quality.

Maybe it's time to end the Flat Design.
    • Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Grzegorz Wójcik.
    • The following users have thanked you: Hugo Avila, djSoft

• Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• Grzegorz Wójcik wrote:
      I tested several frameworks for Joomla. Gantry5 is the best. You need to improve documentation. Shorter descriptions. More videos. This will help a beginner.

First off, documentation of all of RocketTheme's products, Gantry, etc. is my responsiblity. I take full blame for any confusion or difficulty in the documentation. That said, the docs are constantly changing. I make additions/imrpovements to them all the time, and the community submits their own additions, as well.

RocketTheme Theme Docs

About six months ago, I decided to stop documenting how to recreate every element in our demo. Instead, I added a two-paragraph section that shows you how, in an instant, to replicate every particle on the front page of our demo. I replaced our module/particle documentation with docs that tell you exactly what each field/option does in each particle / module.

I feel that this change makes the docs way more useful, cutting down on clutter and redundancy. If you want to see how we made a particle, just create an outline and load the preset. If you want to know how you can make the particle your own, with your own content, check out the doc.

This is one change we've made to try to make life a little easier for the new user.

Gantry Docs

The Gantry 5 documentation was modeled after what we did for Gantry 4, but with one big difference. The docs are written for two audiences instead of one. Gantry 4's documentation (which was written about a month before I joined RT) was written for the developer. Gantry 5's documentation was written for the developer and the new user without development experience.

Where things get a bit tricky is in the length of descriptions. What starts out as a short, simple description quickly turns into a multi-page wall of words as every nuance and special case gets gets added to the doc.
      Doing A achieves B... but if C is present you'll get D. Oh, and don't forget E, F, and G. Also, if you're developing your site on a stopwatch running Linux WatchOS 5.3.2 you might come across H...and here's how to get around H.

It ends up being like a painting that has a dozen painters and is being worked on for years on end. The painting starts out as a simple flower in a field and over time becomes a thousand flowers with clouds, a sun, a donkey, and three chipmunks. New users need that flower in the field. I totally agree with you - and we're working on cutting the excess out and simplifying the whole thing.

Videos are embedded throughout the Gantry docs and more are set for production soon. I have a giant list of topics to do videos on, and we will get to them. These keep getting put off for new releases and other documentation updates, but it's high time we got it done. I'll make that a priority.

Luckily, we're finally at a spot (in terms of documentation) where the to-do list is manageable again. I can start producing videos again and focusing my efforts on simplifying the text.

Look for more videos later this week. Look for the docs to be simplified and compressed. You make a very good point, and we are working on this.
    • Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Ryan M Pierson.
    • The following users have thanked you: David Goode, Kat05, Reggie Simmons

• Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA
    • JMDonald
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• I personally find no fault with the docs...Lord knows, I wouldn't want to try and write concise, clear and understandable content on something as big and feature-rice as G5. You get a thumbs up from me Ryan.

Thing is, that as much as RT would like to say that G5 is for beginners as well as developers, it really isn't. Not that one couldn't figure just about everything out with some help from the docs and the cool mods in the forums, but once you go beyond drag and drop, and especially when you have to override things with css, a lot of folk are going to curl up in a little ball. For instance, how often has Mr. T told someone, "you need to get familiar with firebug or chrome dev tools?" If those aren't already everyday use items for you, you're going to have some trouble getting css just right. Make no mistake, G5 is great, but I can't say as I'd want to tackle it if I were a beginner.
    • The following users have thanked you: Damir, Ryan M Pierson

• Dan Walker
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Designer/Developer

Posted 7 years 3 weeks ago
    • Lot of good thoughts here.

One, I also think is very important. Particles have basically become extensions. However, they reside only on certain templates. It is difficult to move them to a new template. They don't update like extensions, so even if you move it to a new template, you can't easily update it. This is a no-go for designers with many clients who use external software such as watchful.li to keep many sites updated. Likewise, templates do not trigger updates, which is another related difficulty. Templates should trigger Joomla updates or at least there should be a parameter to allow us to have them trigger in Joomla updates.

I echo the idea to develop a repository of particles. Somehow, you have to make them updatable with external software such as watchful.li. The particles should work on every G5 template, with basic CSS, such as you have with RokSprocket, etc.
    • The following users have thanked you: Hartmut Schwab, StrataCorps

• Dan Walker - Web Designer & Developer @ Top Webs Network
      Custom Joomla & Wordpress Websites

Time to create page: 0.440 seconds