0 items Join Now

Artwork as seen on RT

• Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Re: Artwork as seen on RT

Posted 17 years 6 months ago
    • hmm.. i'm not sure about top 5 or 10 but i'll give a few reasons:

1) everything is a vector object as such can be resized distorted and also effects can be applied
      2) everything can be changed (effects changed, fills, strokes) etc because of #1
      3) PNG support is about 500% better than photoshop, no gamma probs and smaller exported files
      4) slicing exporting process is about 200% better than in photoshop
      5) styles, patterns, shapes, etc, are very powerful because of #1

Basically in short, because of #1, you can easily change/modify/move/adjust everything without having to do crazy selections etc. There are numerous sites out there that have posted challenges, ie, create an aqua button in fireworks and photoshop in fewest steps. Fireworks wins everytime.. for example aqua button in fireworks is something like:

1) create rectange, give it rounded corners, gradient fill
      2) add inner shadow white at top
      3) add inner shadow grey at bottom
      4) add dropshadow
      5) copy rectangle, contract size, modify fill

done,

in photoshop its about 25 steps of selections, fills, masks, etc. And if you want to change the color, you have to repeat all the steps, whereas in fireworks you just change the fill of the 2 boxes and everything else (all the shadows automatically just work).

you get the idea.
  • Re: Artwork as seen on RT

• Thanks for the comparison Andy. I didn't even realize the differences 'til now.

Note to self:
      >(Mike, you shall clean the dust off your Fireworks MX and get to work....tomorrow night!)

• Thanks Thomas for the links! They are bookmarked ;)

Mike

Re: Artwork as seen on RT

• Your welcome

• Andy Miller wrote:
      hmm.. i'm not sure about top 5 or 10 but i'll give a few reasons:

1) everything is a vector object as such can be resized distorted and also effects can be applied
      2) everything can be changed (effects changed, fills, strokes) etc because of #1
      3) PNG support is about 500% better than photoshop, no gamma probs and smaller exported files
      4) slicing exporting process is about 200% better than in photoshop
      5) styles, patterns, shapes, etc, are very powerful because of #1

Basically in short, because of #1, you can easily change/modify/move/adjust everything without having to do crazy selections etc. There are numerous sites out there that have posted challenges, ie, create an aqua button in fireworks and photoshop in fewest steps. Fireworks wins everytime.. for example aqua button in fireworks is something like:

1) create rectange, give it rounded corners, gradient fill
      2) add inner shadow white at top
      3) add inner shadow grey at bottom
      4) add dropshadow
      5) copy rectangle, contract size, modify fill

done,

in photoshop its about 25 steps of selections, fills, masks, etc. And if you want to change the color, you have to repeat all the steps, whereas in fireworks you just change the fill of the 2 boxes and everything else (all the shadows automatically just work).

you get the idea.

CS2 does these things. Making everything as a vector is simply choosing the right tools in Photoshop. I don't have the artistic talent you do...but I still haven't found anything that I couldn't do in Photoshop/Illustrator. Mind you the learning curve for Photoshop is monumental. I've got in well over 2,000 hours of classes/tutorials and still learn new stuff all the time. To me Photoshop is more intuitive, but that is likely cause I know my way around it.
      Once the Alpha transsparencies are more universally accepted, Fireworks will likely get used more by me. I love the way you can work PNG files over other formats. It was actually your use of them in your templates that got me experimenting with them more.

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds