0 items Join Now

One template per 6 months?

• Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: One template per 6 months?

Posted 5 years 9 months ago
    • Calla will be out for WordPress soon.
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• aleksej wrote:
      you are the last of the great
      gavick.com-died
      yootheme.com - almost dead

Speaking for myself observing the trends on Google and w3... Joomla itself is dying. So, all the template providers that put their eggs in the Joomla basket are going with it.

Traditional CMS solutions as a whole are trending down. The market is heading in a direction towards sleeker, flat-file solutions or all-in-one houses that do the hosting, theming, and CMS all in one place. We are not in the hosting game, so that direction doesn't work with us. We're also not in the locked-down ecosystem game.
      you are now doing what other great designers do as a template before dying (((
      templates stopped coming out regularly, you got carried away with a bunch of projects like grav ......

Grav is not something we got carried away with. It's doing what Joomla did for RocketTheme in its early days. Remember, RocketTheme was founded by a member of the core Joomla team, and we were the first Joomla template house. Now, Andy has put his time behind a more modern CMS and we're the first house to support it.

Joomla has had a very long life cycle. We hope that Joomla 4 revives the market somewhat, but the fact of the matter remains that it isn't providing the user base to keep template companies afloat. If we stayed true to Joomla 100% and didn't pursue Grav, we'd be another name on the list of big Joomla houses that sunk.

I want to emphasize that we still release new templates on Joomla first. Calla came out on Joomla a week before WordPress and Grav. We are not abandoning the platform, but we'd be lying to ourselves and our customers if we didn't at least acknowledge that Joomla is not drawing in new developers right now. That's a market of users that template companies depend on to survive.
      (and yes, can you update NiveMind? Now neither you nor anyone else on the market - there is such a simple, clean, fast template with such an amazing, convenient, beautiful, great menu, imprisoned for a site with hundreds of articles - it's a pity he not intended for viewing on mobile !!!)

Now that is a pet project we're working on. Taking our existing G4 templates and moving them to G5. It's a slow process, because we have essentially one team member to spare on it and his first priority is new template releases, but it's indeed happening. We're starting with the templates that receive the most downloads, and moving to ones that our community requests. We'll eventually put up polls when we get to that point so you can vote on which template gets the next treatment.

This is some time down the line, however. It's rewriting them from the ground up, so it is about as difficult as releasing a new template altogether.
    • Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA
  • Re: One template per 6 months?

• The template model may be stale (for any CMS), but the Joomla CMS itself is as strong as ever in my eyes and no going anywhere. I just re-invigorated my Afterburner suggestion at the template ideas area here: www.rockettheme.com/forum/requests/37024...as?start=420#1388388

If I were you, I'd take a serious look at my suggestion, especially given the coming changes in Joomla and the significant weight that Afterburner has, and could have again. Not to mention another way to keep subscribers who otherwise have fled the traditional template realm.

Still, I can roll with the punches. If another website design tech takes over the world tomorrow, it'll take me a couple months and I'll be able to do what I need with it. I'd still prefer a new Afterburner in the way I envision it - couldn't think of any other tech/template/solution more compelling to use.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• As Joomla 4 is a major overhaul requiring almost all Joomla developers to implement drastic changes to how their components, extensions, and plugins are written Gantry 4 themes will be supported until Joomla 3.9 reaches end of life.

www.rockettheme.com/forum/gantry-for-joo...la-4?start=0#1358856

www.rockettheme.com/forum/general-discus...emes?start=0#1384464

Gantry 5 is going to rewritten to be compatible with Joomla 4 and is our go-forward platform. As noted in the link above we will be porting some G4 designs to G5.

I too used to start many sites with Afterburner as it was free and minimalistic and therefore a little easier to custom style than some of our heavily pre-styled premium themes. In that, I just built a site starting with the free Gantry 5 Helium theme and it was quite a pleasant experience AND got me to learn a bit of SCSS along the way. You can check out Helium here: demo.gantry.org/
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds