Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

"You are not authorised to view this resource." in system messages section

• Carl L.
    • Sr. Rocketeer

"You are not authorised to view this resource." in system messages section

Posted 6 years 1 week ago
    • Hi,

I have a new multilingual Joomla! 3.8.6 site with Gantry 5.4.23 and the Flux template (1.0.3). Whenever I log in via the login-form that I made accessible via a menu option on the front end, the message "Error. You are not authorised to view this resource." is shown in the "system messages" area at the top, even if I log in as a super administrator. The error message and the home page are shown in the language that I had selected in the language switcher and the home page in each language has access level=public. I cannot think what resource triggers this error message, as I imagine that as a super admin I would get access to all resources that would be displayed on a (home!) page.

I would appreciate any ideas that could lead me to uncover what triggers this error.

Thanks!
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: "You are not authorised to view this resource." in system messages section

• It sounds like you have the login form set to "registered" access level?

Please would you post your URL, superuser id and pswd in the secure tab of your post and I'll have a look for you.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Carl L.
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• This message contains only secure information that is visible to MrT, moderators and administrators
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• You had "login" menu item set to "guest" access and it needs to be "public".

But there's a better way of doing this than having those menu items for login and logout. I added a "popupmodule" instead that uses the login form. Now you get what you were seeking to achieve. Also your "home" menu items were not of all same type, also they were all accessing "all categories" instead of their own language - so I changed that too.

You can restyle the login/logout button to suit your needs now using CSS (even if you want to make it look like a menu item).

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Carl L.
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Thank you for the explanations and the fix, Mark.

It seems that when using the login form as a menu item, one has to choose between two less-than-ideal situations: if the access level is "guest", the error message is shown after logging in and if it is "public" both the Login and the Logout menu items are shown after logging in.

Tbh, I am not keen on pop-up forms (incl. for login) as some users block pop-ups in their browsers. That is the reason why I avoided the pop-up login solution intially, but I now see that the pop-up login form does appear in spite of blocking pop-ups in my browser (FF). Interesting...

I also discovered that with the pop-up login solution, the logout is a 2-step process and that in the second step one has to click on a logout button that disappears when hovering over it (presumably because the backgrounnd colour changes to white, which is also the text colour) ... Why should logging out require clicking two buttons? Can the logout be configured so that the second step is skipped?

Based on your comment on using CSS, I deduce that the colour of the pop-up button cannot be changed in the Styles page of, e.g., the Base Outline.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• There are third-party extensions on JED that you can use instead... see https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/quick-logout/ as just one example.

The color of the popupmodule button can be change by changing the button class in the popupmodule. If that doesn't meet your specific requirements then you can use custom CSS.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: Carl L.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds