Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Template recommendation?

• t17169
    • Rocketeer

Template recommendation?

Posted 6 years 1 month ago
    • Here is my ancient website in Joomla 1.5 with TerraTribune: bit.ly/2HbzTRv

I need to update the site, but all content on the site is current and will be on the new site. In an ideal world, I would just migrate the site, but don't have the skills. Currently even have to host it with dated PHP.

Anyway, I would like to add reviews to the products I offer (less than 10 products), a newsletter, FAQ but for the most part, the content will be the same.

Any Joomla template recommendations? I'm finding the Gantry 5 system daunting and don't want to head too far down a road only to find that the template I chose can't accommodate my needs. Playing around with Ambrosia now on a development site.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Template recommendation?

Posted 6 years 1 month ago
    • I DO recommend that you choose a Gantry 5 template as these templates offer the most current functionality and will work on modern browsers without issue.

The leap from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 3.x is huge and it's not going to be so easy to migrate data from your old site to a new one. But I recommend that you look at "j2XML" extension which can extract most of your data and allow you to import into your new site. If you can I'd really recommend that you start-over with your new site because things are done very differently (and should be) in Gantry 5 and you don't want to copy over a lot of "baggage" from your old Joomla site.

Finally, I presume that you want to stick with Joomla? - there are other choices including Wordpress and our own GRAV CMS - both of which can work with Gantry 5. But of course changing CMS as well could create an even bigger learning curve for you to go through.

Look through our demos, I can't think of anything that will contrain you.

Regards, Mark.
    • The following users have thanked you: t17169

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds