Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED How to migrate from G4 to G5

• SOLVED How to migrate from G4 to G5

Posted 6 years 2 months ago
    • I would like to migrate an existing site running Gantry 4 (G4) to Gantry 5 (G5). I've search Google and this forum for "migrate to G5", but haven't found any documentation or discussions. I did find one brief mention in a RocketTheme blog about being able to map old modules and positions into Gantry 5, but don't even know if it applies here.

I know I can install G5 along side of G4, and I've read through the Gantry documentation site once, but I really don't know where to start. I've got some local (Wampserver) sites running a couple of recent G5 templates.

Any pointers are where to start?

I can list the existing website to show content, menus, etc. if needed. The existing site uses Panacea, although I would expect to migrate to a newer template.

Thanks in advance
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED How to migrate from G4 to G5

• Gantry 5 is not backwards compatible with Gantry 4 . Therefore, in effect you need to build the site again using Gantry 5 and a Gantry 5 template. Yes, you can add G5 and it's associated template on an existing site but I would advise against this unless you really have lots of data to retain in your g4 site. If you do, then I would suggest that you clone the site using Akeeba backup and akeeba kickstart to a test area, install g5 and g5 template and then uninstall g4 and g4 template, then start building your site from there.

G5 templates will not usually have "module positions" on the layout of the outline, therefore if you still wish to use modules and module positions you will have to add these to the layout.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED How to migrate from G4 to G5

• Thanks. This is 'lots of data', so "rebuild" is what I will do. This is the 1st time I've seen a suggestion to first uninstall G4 and the associated template.
      Could you please explain why that's a good idea?
      I appreciate your time answering this!
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: SOLVED How to migrate from G4 to G5

• Because it will save a lot of confusion for you. Gantry 4 and Gantry do some functionality based upon what the "default" template is so if you install G5 and don't make it the default template you may experience things you can't understand (like why not all the particles show when you create a Gantry 5 particle module) or vice-versa. If you are rebuilding on a new template using all your existing modules and particles then leaving Gantry 4 installed will confuse you at times.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
  • Re: SOLVED How to migrate from G4 to G5

• Thanks. I was sort of guessing that would be it. But, I wanted to be sure and also get it spelled out here, since this is the only discussion I've ever found on migrating (using the word generically).

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds