Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Using an existing site/template as an autonomous page for another domain

• lugnuts
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Using an existing site/template as an autonomous page for another domain

Posted 6 years 2 months ago
    • I have a website that I use for discussing issues in town. It uses the Metropolis template but I don't think that matters for this question.

I have a need to create a new web presence based on a single issue - i.e. a campaign. Rather than create a whole new website with a whole new instance of Joomla, I'd rather leverage what I have if I can (which has served me well).

Is it possible to use my existing setup and point a new domain/URL there? I know technically this is very doable by pointing the new domain to a specific URL on my existing setup. However, is it possible to isolate the new domain/URL from the rest of the existing site so it appears to be independent and unrelated to the existing site? In other words, I was thinking of setting up a new Menu item that would be dedicated to this single-issue and it would look much different than the rest of the site, but is there any way to make it so the whole user experience has no reference to the original site?

Thanks
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: Using an existing site/template as an autonomous page for another domain

Posted 6 years 2 months ago
    • It's possible (look on JED for "multi-site) there are various offerings including https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/multi-sites/ and https://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension/core-enhancements/multiple-sites/mightysites/ . They both paid downloads though and for what they will cost you you're better off just purchasing a template subscription and setting up a separate site. Also, In my experience, unless you really need to share users or articles between sites, you are better off keeping things separate. After all, if you break something in your one Joomla instance, you will take all the sites out that use it.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds