0 items Join Now

Sorry but.....

• Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

Re: Sorry but.....

Posted 6 years 3 months ago
    • oceano wrote:
      If you compare you and a company that sell a product you must be the same, provide a product whitout problem. So at this point for me anythings you sell to me, subscription or not if have something wrong and is your "fault" you must fix also over the subscription.

We hate seeing bugs as much as anyone else. We also strive to release updates the moment they're reported, and we generally get to them very quickly.

But, you're trying to compare a subscription service to a direct purchase. Adobe Creative Cloud is a much better example to use here. Adobe's software is buggy sometimes, and you aren't guaranteed free updates to it once your subscription expires. If you don't like the quality of the product, you can end the subscription. If you want to ensure that you receive updates, but want to let your subscription lapse, you are free to purchase the template.

Subscriptions are not template purchases. They're subscriptions. You're purchasing temporary access to downloads and support. You get site licenses that you can keep, and you are free to use a theme after your subscription has expired, but support and downloads ends with membership.

Just like with Adobe's Creative Cloud and every other subscription service with time-based membership terms.
      In some way you must pay all us......because you don't have a beta team. We test your template and particles, we find a lot of bugs and we loos a lot of time for that

We do have a team of testers, actually. Katrin and our entire modsquad test each theme thoroughally. But, there is no way we can test for every case. Sometimes, things need adjusting. Patches happen with all software. Our themes are no exception. We appreciate your feedback and reporting of any issues you come across, and we've discounted our themes and post regular discounts on memberships as a way of saying thanks for that effort.

All of our themes are 30% off if you want to buy them outright. We've done everything we can to make it affordable to have lifetime access to updates. In the end, it's up to you if you're satisfied enough to continue your membership.
    • The following users have thanked you: David Goode, MrT

• Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA
    • JMDonald
    • Jr. Rocketeer

Posted 6 years 3 months ago
    • Seems to me that no matter what the RT team says here, you're going to find fault with it. I personally like the subscription model, I'd rather pay $360/year for all the Adobe suite than $2000 only to have the version change at least once per year. Even at full price a year of subsciption here is a bargain at $100. No matter how many templates are released, I'd say one is getting their money's worth, and with the sale on templates, $24 for lifetime support and updates is a steal! Hell, even at full price $49 is a lot less than one good meal. I fail to see why anyone would have a problem with that. Also, no piece of software anywhere is bug-free and perfect the first time. Like anything, it requires maintenance and time. RT devs are very good, but like any other humans, they aren't going to be 100% all the time and it's unreasonable to expect that from them.
    • The following users have thanked you: David Goode, MrT

• t17169
    • Rocketeer

Posted 6 years 2 months ago
    • My response on this topic is horribly simplistic, however...I've been a RocketTheme subscriber on and off since 2009 and have built a number of sites using RT Joomla templates. Granted, I have not built a site in awhile, but now, just trying to use a RocketTheme template/theme seems like as much of a learning curve as a CMS to me.

I just want a template/theme that, as you say somewhere in your Gantry documentation, makes it simple for those of us who are not coders. Like it actually used to be. I'm about to go uninstall the WP theme from my development site and start over with a Joomla template to see if it's any simpler than your WP theme.

Maybe non-coder, non-developer users like me are few and far between, but for me, this is so much more difficult to use now that I either have to hire someone or look elsewhere for something I can handle.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• t17169 - What particularly are you struggling with? is it Gantry 5? is it the Gantry 5 template? I checked all your forum questions and couldn't find anything particular on this?

The questions you have asked seem to be very general questions and they've been replied to and had no further reply from yourself?

Every template is documented and we give you the instructions on how to recreate everything in the demo. The last reference I can find to a template name that you mentioned was Plethora for Wordpress - so here is the documentation to that http://www.rockettheme.com/docs/wordpress/themes/plethora/demo.md . Whichever template that you choose to use we do assume that you know the basics of your chosen CMS (e.g. Wordpress or Joomla or GRAV).

If you post your questions in the appropriate template forum we will be very happy to assist you, but you do need to tell us the specific problem that you are struggling with.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • t17169
    • Rocketeer

• I can't even recreate a WP theme demo live. I've spent almost 2 weeks addressing it as time permits, going through the lengthy documentation. There are zero topics on guides and tutorials in the forum for Plethora.

I don't think I have a question. RocketTheme is no longer user friendly from where I sit. And that's very disappointing to me especially after subscribing to both WP & Joomla since I need to build sites with both. It used to be easy for me to use RocketTheme, but I give up on the complications it now presents. I've tried the documentation step by step to no avail. So if I did have a question, it would be How do you recreate the demo? The documentation is not enabling me to do so.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Ok, sorry that you're having so much trouble. We do provide rocketlaunchers for every template and CMS which provides an exact working replica of the demo for you to refer to in conjunction with the extremely comprehensive documentation. Plethora particularly is used by hundred of members so I'm not aware of any difficulties with the documentation.

So to answer your question "how do I recreate the demo" I would say load yourself a rocketlauncher copy to refer to, and also read the documentation http://www.rockettheme.com/docs/wordpress/themes/plethora/demo.md which is entitled "Plethora: Recreating the Demo" and shows you pictorially and in words where everything comes from.

It will be much easier for us to tackle your issues one by one rather than "how do I do everything" and me answering "everything is in the documentation". What specifically can't you replicate? logo? menu? slideshow? I can't imagine that it's "everything" I am sure you've managed to do somethings if you are familiar with Wordpress.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• The fastest way to recreate any demo is to download the RocketLauncher and use that as a starting point, then bring in your own content, remove bits you don't need, and customize your site from there.

Second fastest way is to go to the docs linked above and look at each element of the front page, select the section in the sidebar you want to recreate, and make your settings look like the ones outlined.

I totally get that it isn't perfect for everyone. I could write a 500-page book on each and every one of our themes to truly document all of the elements of the demo + backend + ways you can use things. But sadly, with hundreds of products to document, I'm not able to.

Here's what I can do. If you have a specific issue that you think should be documented and it isn't, like... how to change a logo in plethora... tell me. Write me at ryan (at) rockettheme dot com personally. I'll make a ticket and put it in my spreadsheet of items to document.

I will get it done, I just need to know exactly what you want to see added to the docs. 90% of the time, the feedback is either "they're great" or "they suck" with nothing telling me where they're stubbing their toes. If I know what you need, I'll make it.

PS: My individual RocketTheme email address should ONLY be used to specifically request documentation after a forum request has been made and it was determined no documentation exists for the topic you're inquiring on.
    • Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Ryan M Pierson.
    • The following users have thanked you: MrT

• t17169
    • Rocketeer

• I used Rocket Launcher on the WP attempt, which I ended up completely deleting before starting over with Joomla in hopes of that being easier.

I have switched to Joomla 3.8.4 / Ambrosia, used RocketLauncher and still cannot recreate the home page. But yes, as Ryan wrote, that is how I've always done it...used the template as is, added my own content, deleted what I didn't want and added what I did want.

I'm trying to go through each module and particle setting as per documentation. 1st: Header: Documentation shows: System Messages in green. Below in blue: Logo 25% (settings icon) Top Menu 75% (settings icon).

On my backend, what appears is: System Messages in green. Below in blue: Top A 33% (settings icon), Top B 33% (settings icon) and Top C 33% (settings icon). And I'm lost.

I look forward in documentation and see Section Header. No such thing in my back end. And I'm lost.

My point is, I need documentation that is simple, chronological and straightforward, not documentation that requires me to read between the lines and not documentation that skips around. After the amount of time that this is eating up, it sure seems that is can no longer serve people who are not more advanced than I am. I assume that has to do with documentation. I've used a number of RocketTheme templates in the past.

If I can figure out Joomla, but can't figure out RocketTheme, I think that's telling.
    • Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by t17169.
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi there,
      t17169 wrote:
      I used Rocket Launcher on the WP attempt, which I ended up completely deleting before starting over with Joomla in hopes of that being easier.

I have switched to Joomla 3.8.4 / Ambrosia, used RocketLauncher and still cannot recreate the home page. But yes, as Ryan wrote, that is how I've always done it...used the template as is, added my own content, deleted what I didn't want and added what I did want.

And that is how I also do it, unless I am removing more than I am keeping in which case I use a clean install with template. I also have a RocketLauncher as a local install so I can explore if I get stuck.
      t17169 wrote:
      I'm trying to go through each module and particle setting as per documentation. 1st: Header: Documentation shows: System Messages in green. Below in blue: Logo 25% (settings icon) Top Menu 75% (settings icon).

On my backend, what appears is: System Messages in green. Below in blue: Top A 33% (settings icon), Top B 33% (settings icon) and Top C 33% (settings icon). And I'm lost.

That sounds to me like you have gone to the template admin and are possibly looking at the default outline instead of the modified Home Page outline. This is the equivalent of having a Master and Copies in Gantry 4 templates. In Gantry 5 the Master is Base Outline, which is usually then cloned to Default. With Gantry 5 you can do the same, although the instructions are different.

When you are in template admin what name does it give at top left of screen? That will be the name of the outline you are looking at.
      t17169 wrote:
      I look forward in documentation and see Section Header. No such thing in my back end. And I'm lost.

My point is, I need documentation that is simple, chronological and straightforward, not documentation that requires me to read between the lines and not documentation that skips around. After the amount of time that this is eating up, it sure seems that is can no longer serve people who are not more advanced than I am. I assume that has to do with documentation. I've used a number of RocketTheme templates in the past.

If I can figure out Joomla, but can't figure out RocketTheme, I think that's telling.

So let me see if I can help the penny drop for you, because I struggled moving to Gantry 5 too.

Go to templates > styles. Now click on Ambrosia - Home - Positions (It may not exactly say that but it will include Home) and then click on the layout tab.

You can now see all of the current template positions for Home page. Look for the section that shows as Header and on the right you will see a cog icon for settings. When you click that icon you will see the image shown in the documents. This applies to all pop-up windows shown in docs - it will be the cog in the white area for a section's settings, and a cog in blue areas for a module's settings.

I hope this helps to explain why you are getting lost in the documentation. There is an assumption that members will take some time to check the original Gantry 5 documents before attempting to modify the templates. If we put in every single step then the documents would be huge.

Hope this helps 8)

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• t17169 wrote:
      My point is, I need documentation that is simple, chronological and straightforward

Simple and straightforward we try to do, but chronological is not so easy. For one, not everyone that uses the template wants to do the same thing. The best I could do here is create visual references for all the items. How to use the particles. How each particle works and what its settings mean.

Yes, I absolutely could write line-by-line and step-by-step how to recreate the demo from the top to the bottom in one, long tutorial. The problem is, all of that can be done by loading the rocketlauncher and/or loading the home page layout preset in G5.

You may not know that we have detailed Gantry docs separate from our RocketTheme docs. They could help you a lot with customizing the layout and configuring particles. docs.gantry.org/gantry5/configure/gantry-admin

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds