Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Future compatibility Joomla 4 and phpBB 3.2.x

• Future compatibility Joomla 4 and phpBB 3.2.x

Posted 6 years 4 months ago
    • I'm embarking on a next project in which I want to use the Callisto theme on the Gantry 5 framework and also want to use the phpBB Callisto style.

Since Joomla 4 is now really in the making and will be released somewhere between summer and the end of 2018 I want to ask whether those Gantry 5 themes will be upgraded to Joomla 4 in the future? The same goes for the phpBB style. This is now compatible with phpBB v3.1.X, but v3.2.x is out now. Will that be upgraded as well?

I don't want to set myself in a situation that I develop the project and get faced by another migration within a 2 year timeframe. Or even worse, that these templates or themes will not be upgraded and I'm getting deprieved on any updates whatsoever within a couple of years after release because both Gantry, template and phpBB style aren't J4 or phpBB 3.2.x+ compatible.

Greets,
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: Future compatibility Joomla 4 and phpBB 3.2.x

• Re: Future compatibility Joomla 4 and phpBB 3.2.x

• Dear Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the phpBB brand is dicontinued, but in the post you are referring to I read:
      Will we Continue to Receive Updates to Existing Products?

In the event that an existing phpBB or Magento product made by RocketTheme is in need of an update, we will continue to provide them as we always have. This change will only affect the creation of new themes and styles for these platforms.

I understand by this that new phpBB styles will not be made, but existing ones will continue to be updated to new phpBB releases? Or do I misinterprid this?

Greets,
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• No, existing ones will only be supported within the version of PHPBB that they were released for. Each PHPBB style details what version of PHPBB it's compatible with on its Details page.
    • Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Matt.
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• I understand by this that new phpBB styles will not be made, but existing ones will continue to be updated to new phpBB releases? Or do I misinterprid this?

We stopped selling these themes and Club memberships some time ago. We support the sales that were already made through our forum, but new development is probably not going to happen for phpBB themes at this time. The updates indicated in that old post are specific to security patches and other bits that don't include rewriting the code to meet the needs of future phpBB versions.

It wasn't anything against phpBB. We love the platform. It just got to a point where interest had fallen far below the costs to develop them.
    • Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Ryan M Pierson.
    • Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds