Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

rokSprocket module and breadcrumb issue

• shenk
    • Hero Rocketeer

rokSprocket module and breadcrumb issue

Posted 6 years 4 months ago
    • rokSprocket is a great extension, I prefer using it to construct my article list page. But I am always troubled by a problem, described as follow.

I believe what I want is quite simple and common to many users: On article list page, Mosaic displays a list of articles which users can click to enter the article page; On article pages, the Mosaic module doesn't display, and Breadcrumb shows something like "Home>category>article"; When users click "category" in the breadcrumb, they will be back to the aforementioned article list page.

To my surprise, this is actually quite hard to achieve without hard coding. I will try to explain my approaches:
      Firstly, on the article list page, since there is already the Mosaic module listing the articles, I don't want the "page content" to display, to do this, I can either use Gantry5's custom page as menu item type, or create and use an outline(tempalte) without the "page content" position, then select "category blog" as menu item type.
      If I use custom page, since there is no menu item associated with the articles or their category, the article pages will inherit homepage's itemid, hence displaying modules that are only supposed to be shown on homepage, moreover the breadcrumb won't be showing because we ususally don't show breadcrumb on homepage. Some might suggest create a hidden Category Blog page, but this way the breadcrumb on article page won't be right: although it shows "home>category>article", the "category" would only link to the hidden page, which will lead to the following issue -
      If I use the Category Blog menu item, then besides Mosaic module, the article list page will display another list of articles. To remove the additional article list, like what was mentioned above I can create a outline without "page-content". But now the article page will be blank too because it is also using the no-page-content outline.

Now manybe the simplest way to overcome this must be using CSS to block the "page-content" on "Category Blog" page only, but I really don't like this workaround because it means redundant loading of the page. I've also tried Module anywhere, but it seems it can't deal with this issue either.

So with current Gantry5 framework and Joomla 3.8.2, is there a way to overcome this problem without writing PHP/CSS/JAVASCRIPT? Not that I can't do coding but if there is a possible solution that requires no coding, I always prefer using it.
    • Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by shenk.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

Re: rokSprocket module and breadcrumb issue

• Please do not post extensions/template specific questions in the "General Discussion" forum. You should post in the extension forum or template forum as appropriate. Most of these forums are for members who have a current PAID membership. Our priority is always to assist paying members.

Thank you for your understanding.

Your subscription appears to have expired. Support does require a current subscription.

Basically this has nothing to do with Roksprocket - this is a "feature" of Joomla and requires the use of the hidden menu technique to overcome.

Create a MENU called "hidden" (no need to create a module to place it anywhere). In the hidden menu, create a MENU ITEM for each of the orphaned articles (single article type) and make sure these menu items are published. Now the hidden menu won't appear on any of your pages, but, the articles will now open in their own page. You can also use the same technique and create a hidden category blog menu item to pick up multiple articles too, thus saving having to create a hidden menu item for every article.

Basically joomla will use the first menu item that it thinks "points" at the thing you are trying to show, then it will use whatever template is assigned to that menu item.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • shenk
    • Hero Rocketeer

• What if I have hundreds of articles, are you saying I need to create hidden menu for each one of them? Besides, how do you make the breadcrumb work right with hidden menu? they will only show like "home>article", but not what I want(home>category>article).
      I know this has to do with Joomla core, but I think it is also a rokSprocket related question. Because rokSprocket somewhat functions like an article list mechanism; besides. I had thought to name this post "can we have rokSprocket as a component?", because I think if rokSprocket was a component(displaying its content in the "page-content" position), this problem will be no more.
      Another approach might be letting article list page and article page use different outlines, is it possible?
    • Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by shenk.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Nope that's not what I am saying. You can use categories - you may just need to use multiple levels of categories and in some cases use a parent category rather than a child category within it.

It's absolutely nothing to do with roksprocket, this is just how joomla core works. No you can't have roksprocket as a component, it's a module. Roksprocket is not going to be changed from this point forward.

Regards, Mark.
    • Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information.
    • shenk
    • Hero Rocketeer

• I said in the main post creating hidden menu for the cateogry won't solve the problem either, because the breadcrumb won't be right, it will be "Home>hidden menu>article", if people click the link in the middle of the breadcrumb, the page that is supposed to be hidden will show.
    • MrT
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer/Developer

• Hidden menu is the correct technique to resolve this if you structure things correctly. But if you really want full control then consider using something like sh404sef.

Regards, Mark.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds