0 items Join Now

RocketTheme Update for 09/26/2017

• Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

RocketTheme Update for 09/26/2017

Posted 6 years 6 months ago
    • Hello everyone!

A lot going on at RocketTheme. Here is our regular update!

Joomla 3.8 Updates

We've updated the following themes to mitigate issues that arise from Joomla 3.8 in our Gantry 4 templates. There are several bugs that are within Joomla 3.8 itself and we are anxiously anticipating Joomla's patches, however any issues we could resolve on our end have been so far in the following templates:
      • Kirigami
      • Fracture
      • Graffito
      • Metropolis
      • Cerulean
      • Leviathan
      • Chapelco
      • Alerion
      • Hexeris
      • Oculus
      • Stratos

Salient for Grav Released

We have also released Salient for Grav, which is one of our more popular themes on Joomla and WordPress. We also updated the Joomla and WordPress version with some bug fixes and improvements that we made during the Grav version's development.

New Template Coming Soon

The team is hard at work in development of our upcoming theme. We know you'll love it because it comes very highly requested by the community. As always, no ETA at this time, but development is progressing at a good pace.

We hope to be in the sandbox phase (when we have the base development done and are fine tuning the demo, testing, etc.) soon. Releases happen once testing reveals no major bugs and we are satisfied with its optimization and feature set.

It took us a little while to get the design locked down, but the results are exceptional. Seriously, this is a very cool theme. We believe you're going to absolutely love it.
    • The following users have thanked you: djSoft

• Ryan Matthew Pierson / Technical Writer / Buda, TX USA
  • Re: RocketTheme Update for 09/26/2017

Posted 6 years 5 months ago
    • Any new information?
      Will there be a library of particles? The inspiretheme works very well.
      You have many wonderful particles, but there is not even a demo page.
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

Re: RocketTheme Update for 09/26/2017

• Grzegorz Wójcik wrote:
      Any new information?

The new theme is in sandbox phase undergoing internal testing prior to release. Just a matter of getting tickets sorted and adding any features suggested during testing.
      Grzegorz Wójcik wrote:
      Will there be a library of particles? The inspiretheme works very well.

As covered before, we like the idea and we do have it in our list of great projects to tackle but right now we have nothing to announce. We generally wouldn't announce it until we have something solid to share.

Right now our team is focused on producing new templates and updating our existing library to include new feature suggestions, bug fixes, and other updates.
      Grzegorz Wójcik wrote:
      You have many wonderful particles, but there is not even a demo page.

I see your point, but we do have a Particles page in every theme's demo that shows off the highlighted particles with that theme. This has been our standard practice for several years.

If your suggestion is for a stand-alone demo of each particle apart from theme demos... we can certainly that that into advisement however our premium particles are often customized to fit each theme and are not uniform across releases.

For example, the Block Content particle on one theme may have different styling and/or options than the Block Content particle on another.

• djSoft
    • Rocketeer

• Hello Ryan,
      can you post some picture for the new template?

Thanks for any information you give us.

Ciao
      Antonio

• Today is 9 weeks since the previous template was released. Is there a chance for a new template this week?

• Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• Grzegorz Wójcik wrote:
      Today is 9 weeks since the previous template was released. Is there a chance for a new template this week?

Very very very very very very very very soon. :)
    • The following users have thanked you: Grzegorz Wójcik, djSoft

• Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• Puuuhh, just had a very short look on the new template.
      Can't find anything special - looks exactly the same as every template of the last months.
      A new outfit for the slider? That's really all?

In my opinion this is absolutely no template for a business at all - no clear nor elegant design, the templates look more and more "childish".
      Of course, everything can be changed via CSS but the template as it is right now I would never use out of the box for a serious business.
      The round borders, the font, the menu - just everything doesn't look serious.

I'm a long customer of Rockettheme but since Gantry 5 appeared every template is just a disappointment after the other.
      Gantry 5 and the support is great, however the templates have decreased a lot (at least the design).

I wished you would release something like "Medical" from Inspiretheme, if you look at the design this is far far far better.
      This is what I would call "business design", not these huge round borders etc.

Why don't you design a template like this - if you take the slider and the background away there is absolutely no difference in design between the different templates (the main difference is the look of a few particles).

I really hope there will be a radical change in the next templates, right now it is old wine in a new bottle.

I hope my comment is not to harsh but I'm really really disappointed about the desing quality of the templates since Gantry 5 has been released. I know the team has become smaller, the develeopment has shifted to Grav, but Rockettheme is still a Joomla template club.
      I joined Rockettheme for the great and different templates and this has changed not to the best.
    • JMDonald
    • Jr. Rocketeer

• While I don't exactly disagree with some of what you've said, an alternate perspective would be that most templates from template providers are "old wine in new bottles." If we're going to compare InspireTheme and RT, I'd say that both companies are outstanding, provide solid products and more than superior support. Ivo's templates look like Ivo and RT's look like them. To be fair, most IT templates look pretty much the same too and have similar particles from month to month. If we look at what designers have done with the basic frameworks of both RT and IT templates, there's a ton of creativity going on and many interesting and visually different sites have come from the same basic template. I think it's cool when I come across a site and think, "this looks sort of like template (insert name here)" and then dig around the file structure a bit and see those familiar gantry 5 and template folders I've come to know.

Would Aurora work for a "suit and tie" business? Probably not, but I can think of 10 or 12 businesses I've worked with who would have loved the new release. And Gantry 5 makes changing almost anything from rounded corners to fonts to you name it quite easy. Templates or themes or whatever you want to call them, are starting places, demonstrations of what's possible...the next step is up to us to craft it into the vision we have.

I would personally like to see a little more from both RT and IT in terms of designs, but I think the differences from one template to the net are enough to get us thinking of how we can tweak it to make it our own. In my opinion, both companies' offerings are as good as anything else out there.
    • Ryan M Pierson
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Technical Writer

• Björn Hallier wrote:
      Puuuhh, just had a very short look on the new template.
      Can't find anything special - looks exactly the same as every template of the last months.

Modern Design is flat and boxy. We work to make it less so, without losing general appeal.

If you think Aurora and Notio look alike, there's not much I can say to change your mind. Surely you see a difference between Aurora and Supra or Acronym? They're very different looking designs.

Indeed, when you said that all of our templates look the same 9 months ago on the "What has RocketTheme been up to" thread , we addressed this has an industry-wide trend, and one we hope changes in the near future. We love making totally different themes, but right now doing so comes with a very hard risk.

We decided to employ the Material design standard a few months ago with Acronym. Adding a little shading and some very minor drop shadows to elements on the page. The response on the forum was that "it looks like something out of the 90s." This is the challenge. We have to create a theme that is both flat (and therefor modern) and different enough that folks can see the differences between the themes on a quick glance.

At the same time, we have to make a theme that is appealing to enough people to make it something at least a significant portion of our users would buy and deploy in their projects.

In short: we can make it totally original and crazy different from everything else out there... but that would also mean that a much smaller number of people would be able to use it... and it would risk looking too out of date with today's design standards.

Aurora Has a Lot of New Things to Enjoy

I could point out three totally new particles we created for Aurora... as well as the SVG patterns we created to give it a cool background look without adding any weight to the theme.

Internally, the goal with Aurora was to make something that would stand aside some of our popular Gantry 4 professional themes, including Clarion, as a modern take on a corporate-friendly design.

If you want a "suit and tie" corporate look, you could trim away the SVG backgrounds, utilize RokSprocket for a more classic slider, replace the carousel and case studies particles with an Info list or block content particle... and it would be a great head start on a simple, corporate-ready template. No CSS or custom code required there at all.

Rounded corners aren't in every one of our previous themes, either. To say this one looks exactly like the last with a new slider cuts short the hundreds of manhours spent developing this theme. There is a lot under the hood your very short look might not make apparent.

Your Suggestions Will Help Us!

We're sorry you don't like this design. It's something we put a lot of effort into and believe that there is a portion of our customer base that does want something like this.

Please feel free to share your ideas for things you would like to see. What would make a template stand out to you as different? We are eager to create themes that you'll enjoy.
    • Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Ryan M Pierson. Reason: clarification

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds