Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

[Closed] php 7

• [Closed] php 7

Posted 6 years 11 months ago
    • Hi,

Not sure if this is the relevant place to post, but I'm having a problem updating my php version on many joomla websites after joomla 3.7 upgrade.

We now get the warning message in joomla about upgrading the php version and I have had some success, but mostly the upgrade to 7 crashes the site, in some cases I have to revert all the way back to php version 5.5 just to get the site back up and running.

Before the update I have made sure that the template and joomla versions are up to date and that all extensions are up to date also.

One site in particular is a very basic site, I'm using the audacity template, latest version, joomla updated to version 3.7, using updated rockettheme extensions, and 2 third party extensions/modules that are up to date, they are JSiteMap Pro and Contact Enhanced and both developers have assured me that they are compatible with joomla 3.7 and php 7. For this site I have had to go back to php version 5.5.

As I mentioned I have been able to sucessfully update others, but the current pattern is not good.

Any ideas please? I'd really like to upgrade all my sites as soon as possible.

See link below to one of the mentioned troubled sites, using the audacity template version 1.2

www.brentonchiversaccounting.com/

Appreciate any ideas.

Thank you,
      Scott
    • Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by wildmorgan.
  • Re: [Closed] php 7

• the php error log will give you useful information about the issue
    • Hugo Avila
      Paginas Web
    • Damir
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

Re: [Closed] php 7

• Hi Damir,

This is one of the errors:

Error
      We have detected that your server is using PHP 5.4.45 which is obsolete and no longer receives official security updates by its developers. The Joomla! Project recommends upgrading your site to PHP 5.6 or later which will receive security updates at least until 2018-12-31. Please ask your host to make PHP 5.6 or a later version the default version for your site. If your host is already PHP 5.6 ready please enable PHP 5.6 on your site's root and 'administrator' directories – typically you can do this yourself through a tool in your hosting control panel, but it's best to ask your host if you are unsure.

The other one is a little shorter, but similar, just saying you should upgrade from 5.6 to 7.

Once I upgrade on the server the site completelty crashes and I get a white screen, can't log in or see the site.

• Hi Hugo,

Thanks for response

Where do I access the php error log? Is it through the cpanel?

Thanks

• Typically cpanel managed servers saves php erros to a file named 'error_log' located in the same directory where error occurs. If you dont have one, you should ask for support to your hosting provider, sometimes php error log needs to be activated first.
    • Hugo Avila
      Paginas Web

• Hi Hugo,

I found a directory called 'logs' within it where several zipped files, I downloaded one dated April, not sure what sort of log this is, but it didn't tell me much?

I'm happy to provide you with cpanel access if you have time to take a quick look around, would really appreciate it.

• I am pretty sure that logs you found are the visits logs, not error logs. You really have to ask your hosting provider on this, every host has their own particular way to save logs or to activate error logging, some times is a php ini override, or htaccess directive.
    • The following users have thanked you: wildmorgan

• Hugo Avila
      Paginas Web

• OK, thanks, I'll ask the question.

• Hi Hugo,

I found it, I'll investigate further
    • Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by wildmorgan.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds