Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gantry 5 - Best Practice SEO: Articles or particles?

• JCGWATT
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Gantry 5 - Best Practice SEO: Articles or particles?

Posted 7 years 2 months ago
    • I think the topic says it all - i'm wondering if it is best to create full articles in Joomla or create intro style articles then insert a particle to bring more information in? example follows:

1 Large article (1,000 words) with different H2 headings. This is fine for desktop, but very long for mobile users to get through.
      Either
      1(a) - leave the long article, or perhaps break it into 2 linked articles so the mobile user can continue on different pages;
      or
      1(b) - use a particle, such as info List so the user can select and dropdown the information they need, skipping the headings that do not interest them.

For usability, option 1(b) is obviously better - but what about SEO? Is the Google bot going to have issues wrapping all the additional content into the particle (info list)?

thanks for any assistance.
      J.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

Re: Gantry 5 - Best Practice SEO: Articles or particles?

• Google just reads content... it doesn't know, necessarily, if you have some content hidden in accordions... there's always 100 different ways you can do something... you can hide content on mobiles like: <span class="hidden-phone">This content won't be visible on phones</span>

docs.gantry.org/gantry5/tutorials/utility-classes

You can set all your Meta Tags for your Outline on the Page Settings tab
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:
    • JCGWATT
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Yes, thank you - i am aware of how to hide on mobile. I guess my question was about the best way to achieve the best SEO outcome - in the opinion of someone who knows the Gantry 5 system.

For example: Google in fact does know about structure by using things like heading tags. As far as i know, the code around all of the gantry particles may do something to that structure... or duplicate contenet... or make the entire page unreadable to machines.

From what I can gather Rockettheme isn't using gantry 5 or gantry 5 style particles - bits and pieces or rocksprocket (other than in demo themes) and Gantry 5 site seems to use articles instead of particles also. If you could give me the tip of how Gantry 5 documentation site set up the articles i would love to do something similar with mine... but i expect 'computer says no'...

thanks for your efforts.
      J.
    • Matt
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • messin' with stuff

• JCGWATT wrote:
      As far as i know, the code around all of the gantry particles may do something to that structure... or duplicate contenet... or make the entire page unreadable to machines.

Like what? If you're not putting duplicate content in Particles in the same Outline then there would be no duplicate content... you can put whatever HTML you want in a Particle and you can edit the Particle's TWIG file (VERY easily) to spit out whatever other HTML (like H tags) that you might want wrapped around certain fields

docs.gantry.org/gantry5/tutorials/overriding-particle-settings

The Gantry Doc site runs on Grav

Gantry can run on Grav as well

I consider myself an SEO Professional and I have many well optimized sites running Gantry/Joomla though my personal future is in Grav development... some sites with and some sites without Gantry, depending on need
    • Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Matt.
    • SEARCH the forum first! These boards are rich in knowledge and vast in topics. This includes searching just the 'Solved' forums, using Google, and using ChatGPT :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds