Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

SOLVED Unable to upgrade Joomla V2.x site to V3.x - RokCommon problem

• SOLVED Unable to upgrade Joomla V2.x site to V3.x - RokCommon problem

Posted 7 years 2 months ago
    • My client has finally agreed to upgrade to the newest version of Joomla because of security concerns - he is running a very old template called Voxel. We made a copy of the site and tried to upgrade it and part way into the upgrade got the message:

0 - An error has occurred.
      The service definition "logger" does not exit.
      Return to Control Panel

Except at this point, the upgrade is dead in the water - clicking on Return to Control Panel gets the same message. An internet search indicated the problem is probably with RokCommon - and I found the PHP module that provides this definition. However, the upgrade is completely frozen and the test site is dead. The site is pretty basic and is using the template, breezing forms and ACYMailing - no other Rocket Features. I tried connecting to the database and disabling RokCommon, but that had no effect.

I had tried upgrading RokCommon and the other Rok modules before the ugprade - but the upgrades all failed.

Has anyone run into this and have suggestions for a work-around so we can finish the upgrade?

If I set the default template back to one of the Joomla standard ones, and did the upgrade, would this work around the problem?

Thanks.
    • Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Gary Wong. Reason: Template name was wrong.
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: SOLVED Unable to upgrade Joomla V2.x site to V3.x - RokCommon problem

• If you were not able to update the Rok extensions, mostly RokGallery and/or RokSprocket, then RokCommon which is included in both extensions was most likely outdated and not compatible with Joomla 3.x, so trying to run the Joomla update anyways is likely to cause issues. I recommend that you revert to a working Joomla 2.5 backup, then try to update the Rok extensions again and post back here in case it's not working. It's crucial that all of your extensions are compatible with Joomla 3.x before you actually run the Joomla update.
    • Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Kat05.
    • The following users have thanked you: Gary Wong

• Kat05 / QA Lead & Support / Germany
  • Re: SOLVED Unable to upgrade Joomla V2.x site to V3.x - RokCommon problem

• Thanks for the suggestion - the Rok modules would not upgrade, but I cleared the cache and was able to successfully upgrade everything including the RokCommon. Now waiting for the client to schedule another upgrade attempt. I will keep you posted, but I think that it was the lack of any upgrades that caused the problem. This hopefully will be the last time I succumb to client pressure to 'just do it'. Luckily, I had made backups of everything.
    • Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Gary Wong. Reason: Grammar
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Good to hear, keeping fingers crossed, please keep us posted. :)
  • Re: SOLVED Unable to upgrade Joomla V2.x site to V3.x - RokCommon problem

Posted 7 years 1 month ago
    • My client's site has finally been upgraded - a number of problems cropped up with other old components using obsolete Joomla calls which had to be hand-disabled in the Joomla database. The site almost came up, but I had forgotten to download the 1.8 version of Voxel. Once that was done (and the browser cache was cleared), my client has a working website with his original design and template intact. Thanks for pointing out the need to update all of the Rocket components before the upgrade.

Gary.
    • Kat05
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Posted 7 years 1 month ago
    • That's great news, glad you got it all working fine now. :)

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds