Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla Themes 2016

• Ashraf

Joomla Themes 2016

Posted 7 years 3 months ago
    • After being a member of this club for a long time, 2016 was a real bad year, with only 10 themes released for Joomla, and being accustomed to having a monthly release. It seems like Joomla has taken the backseat in Rockettheme's quest for diversity, at the expense of its core principles. Seems like much more effort is spent on Grav and other expansions and Joomla is set to suffer in 2017.
    • The following users have thanked you: djSoft

• Ashraf
  • Re: Joomla Themes 2016

• Not only Joomla. Also Wordpress.
      Gantry 5 goes in the right direction is a very good framework. In my opinion the best on the market. No installer particles is the biggest flaw.
      GRAV makes guys neglected Joomla and Wordpress.
      Templates are unfortunately weak and similar to each other.

• I agree. I have been a member for almost 10 years and this is the first time I can remember not having monthly releases. I feel like I didn't get my money's worth this year.
    • wombat
    • Rocketeer

Re: Joomla Themes 2016

• Hi,

I have also been a member for around 6 or 7 years and have also made some posts on this subject (one of them is here: http://www.rockettheme.com/forum/general-discussion/265890-what-happened-to-rocket-theme?start=0#1329564 ). I am also a little disappointed, but could understand RT guidelines for releases that has been in affect since May if they would adhere to these guidelines. One of the main reasons for changing to a 4-6 week release cycle was so that they can add more quality features when they release. As stated in the link that I posted, there has not really been anything new since the beginning of 2016 (to be fair, please first read my posts there).

The Joomla Template Club is no longer really a Joomla Template Club, instead it is a Gantry Template Club with Gantry being adapted to Joomla (or something like that). This is not to say that I do not like Gantry or the particles/atoms that are also used, but new users could easily get discouraged trying to set up a site if they do not know how to do at least some basic coding. Some of it also involves more work and is more suitable for static content, for dynamic content joomla extensions are often the better choice. With Gantry and the Particles/Atoms there are however a lot more possibilities available.

I guess everything has it's Pro's and Con's and everyone needs to decide for themselves what is better for them and in which direction they wish to go.

Norman
    • The following users have thanked you: djSoft

• I voted yes.

However, I prefer quality over quantity, and I sympathize with the new release cycle. It makes sense. But I am afraid Joomla will suffer, and that is why I voted yes. Hopefully Rockettheme will demonstrate that we have no reason to worry.

The reason why I signed up at Rockettheme is Joomla, and that is why I will keep renewing the membership.
    • Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Martin Hansen.
    • Terp
    • Elite Rocketeer

• I have to be honest. I fell for the 'member discount' when it came time to renew a few weeks ago and already have buyer's remorse.

I don't know what I was thinking...have told myself I wouldn't do it again last year, too, and ever month thereafter.

Please, RT, stop taking my money. Please.

PS: Quit whining, guys, at least there are Grav templates now! lol
    • Terp
    • Elite Rocketeer

• The forums are a ghost town nowadays, too. Speaks volumes.
    • oceano
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Really some template, at the end, are the same. But my point is that I use only template for news, others for music, other for booking ecc ecc. Over the developer that they use al kind of template ( also if i used the same template for news and hotel booking) we waiting for that kind that is usefull for us. For example my last renew was for nothing :(

What I ask till 2009 is to know just what kind of template will be the next ( better if I know the next 6 ) so I don't stay to pray that will be one I can use and if is not on my intrest i can wait to renew my subscription.

Ok I can buy a single template, but wich is the point that a single template cost same as 6 month of subscription? Why a single template must cost same 4 or 6 of the subscription?

I think must have 2 king of price, one for developer, one for poeple like me that use just one type of template, and till now cost me a lot as in the past we had just 2 "news" template in 2 years.

Then guys....I don't see a real template of news in Audacity, for example, is just a WP copy and roksprocket is not a mod really complete for news or a simple blog ( you can't exclude the current article, for example ).

So Please RT at this point try to think to us and give us a price more real for a single Template or give to us a plan for what kind of template we will have in the next 6 month ( I dont think, as you are the best, that your competitor can use this info for something).

Ciaooooo
    • The following users have thanked you: Hartmut Schwab

• I'm a "volunteer" web designer for a couple of nonprofits in the area and I joined the Joomla wagon back in 2009 or whenever it was splitting off from Mambo. The thing that I liked about Joomla was that it was fairly simple for a more 'junior' web developer such as myself (I'm a database developer) and the combination of Joomla and RocketTheme templates worked very well for me.

Over that past year I'm becoming a bit disillusioned by RocketTheme because even when a new template comes out it has tended to be "not of interest" to me. For example I need templates to support nonprofit organizations such as clubs, a youth center, a small town political campaign and a few other things. I honestly could use more 'generic' templates with an easy way to add functionality to them rather than some of the templates that are coming out that I have to rip apart things. I guess I might feel differently if the templates were geared towards what I need more.

This second point of disillusionment (which is more on me) is that Gantry and other improvements have made things a lot more complicated to people, such as myself, who do this as more of a hobby.

I'm interested in learning more about Grav because I do agree that Joomla is a bit heavy for many things that I want to do. But I notice that I get a decent 'loyalty' discount for my Joomla membership. I do notice that I get a smaller loyalty discount for WordPress (ironic since I haven't used any templates and am not a member of that club) and I get no loyalty discount for Grav which as only a couple of templates and is a new CMS that needs to prove itself. Seems they should be significantly discounting the Grav membership to promote growth.

I'm considering stopping my membership after it expires. Haven't decided yet. I have a few months to see what comes along in 2017.

Don
    • The following users have thanked you: Hartmut Schwab

• It has now been over 8 weeks since the last Joomla template release. I thought the revised schedule was "4 - 6 weeks."

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds